VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bahu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's been about 12 hours now, and after searching this site, as well as the rest of the web (quickly finding out that this is the only real place to turn), I'm stumped. Tyrian 2000 is running slowly, and I can't fix it. I know why it runs slowly, just not how to fix it. I think.

According to VDMSound's logs, attempts to play music result in:

@E - 09:44:45.193 - MPU401Controller
Attempted to read from empty MPU-401 inbound FIFO

This happens over and over and over again. Say, six times a millisecond. All attempts to play sound give me:

W - 13:05:39.511 - SBController
Attempted to read from write-only port (IN 0x226)

However, this doesn't happen nearly as often. In fact, it happens less and less often as it goes along.

In-game, the music is slow (as would be expected if it's tying itself up so often), but the sounds are just fine. However, the speed is slow enough to ruin the 'frantic' aspect it's supposed to have, and the speed settings have very little to do with anything. In fact, turning it down to 'slower' simply makes the music speed up.

The setup program, under the exact same VDMSound settings, has painfully slow music and lagged sound effects. When I go to jukebox mode, the music wavers its speed a lot. It speeds up to full, then goes down a bit, juggles it for a while, then settles on a speed that's slow enough to sound mildly sedated.

Now, for whatever reason, the game plays slower than it should with both sound and music off. I saw that exact same problem earlier, and it was connected to a link to get Speedset, instructing the poster that it could be set to +/- 65535. However, my 1.0.2 only lets me do +/- 100. Is there a link I missed somewhere to a cooler version? That might clear this whole mess up right there.

Oh yeah: I did need to cli2nop the file0001.exe to make it not lock up when the ship's computer (or whatever that is) wishes me good luck. Dunno if that has to do with anything, though.

Please, tell me I'm a n00b who doesn't know jack about what he's doing. Tell me that there's some magical fix I haven't seen yet. But, uh, point me at said link while you're at it. 😉

--Bahu
Fried

Last edited by Bahu on 2003-09-09, 04:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Bahu Tyrian 2000 is running slowly, and I can't fix it. I know why it runs slowly, just not how to fix it.

I stick with what I said here.

Dual-boot or Emulation of a full PC is going to be the answer.

BTW; No, DosBox won't run it yet.

Now, for whatever reason, the game plays slower than it should with both sound and music off.

Tyrian hates NT. It wants the single-task environment of DOS or the cooperative multitasking environment of DOS/Win9x, not the pre-emptive multitasking of NT.

Tell me that there's some magical fix I haven't seen yet.

There isn't.