VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by G-Flex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've gotten Azrael's Tear (a DOS first-person adventure game) working fine using VDMSound, dgvesa, and Mo'Slo to control the game speed.

The problem is that when I use Mo'Slo to get the game down to a playable speed, it seems like the MIDI music is playing at an abnormally low tempo.

Is there any particular reason why this might be happening or a way to fix it?

Reply 2 of 4, by G-Flex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried DOSBox, believe me. It just doesn't run very well in it on this computer.

Mo'Slo (using Method 2) actually seems better than WinThrottle for these purposes. I tried WinThrottle and it made performance really staggered/jerky/inconsistent.

Mo'Slo Deluxe/4Biz seem to have some better slowdown options, but there's no way I'm ponying up 25 bucks for a CPU slowdown program.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
G-Flex wrote:

I tried DOSBox, believe me. It just doesn't run very well in it on this computer.

Well, gee, evidently it doesn't run very well in VDMSound etc on that computer either!

And what kind of computer would that be, anyway?

Reply 4 of 4, by G-Flex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You don't need to be snarky about it.

It runs fine on VDMSound. The issue is that the game simply is timed in the typical awful manner of old DOS programs, and runs TOO fast. I thought I made that clear.

And given the choice between playing the game at an unplayable (or at least extremely annoying) framerate by running it in DOSBox, and running it in a playable manner but with slightly weird music by using VDMSound+dgvesa+Mo'Slo, I choose the latter. And it's not as if I didn't try fiddling around with the DOSBox settings or anything, I've done that plenty of times before and know what I'm doing for the most part there, and tried messing with the config to a reasonable degree to get it working as best I could, which turned out to be not good enough.

I'm running XP Pro 32-bit on a relatively P4 laptop at 2.8GHz with 2GB of RAM and a crappy Intel integrated graphics card from about 2004. I've actually been trying this on someone else's computer as well, which isn't any better and has less RAM, some sort of junky Celeron, and I think the same line of Intel graphics.

But yeah, the only issue with VDMSound is the speed, which is easily fixed (for the most part; it's hard to get the game ever running at a perfect rate on even an ideal machine since the load changes depending on in-game circumstances) except for the problem of the music getting slowed down too.