VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Qster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

guess i am trying to go back and relive a couple of the origin wing commanders.

i am not sure how to get WC4 to run on my current WinXP(home) computer.

i have tried vdm with it, but am not sure if i know how to install it so every thing works.

when i try to install WC4, it locks-up at the point where it is going to do the test screen.

i have downloaded the WC4 Win 95 Patch, but still no success. is there something in the sequence of installation i should be doing?

my system: (with the latest driver updates ---except for the m other board---which i am not sure how or what needs to be done since this computer upgrade happened earlier this year)

Windows XP (home)
P-4 2.4 gig
Motherboard: Intel D845GEBV2
G-force Ti 4400 (128 meg)
Creative Audigy
512M ram

any help would be appreciated, since i have a grandson who would love to be able to play this game.

thanks
Qster

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered guess i posted in the wrong forum.......?

Yes. Moved. Also, check previous posts on this:
showthread.php?threadid=1424&highlight=Wing+Commander
showthread.php?threadid=865&highlight=Wing+Commander

Reply 4 of 4, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qster wrote:

when i try to install WC4, it locks-up at the point where it is going to do the test screen.

Qster, I have just got a copy of WC4 and it is running ok under Windows XP. When you say that the game locks up when it is about to do the machine speed test, do you mean that the game appears to freeze in the screen with the message "Machine Speed Test" with no keyboad control over the cursor or are you able to move the cursor over the test button (the on one the left) and the game locks after you press enter? This screen is not very intuituve, given the fact that you can only control the cursor with the keyboard (the mouse is not working in this screen for me).

If you can get past the speed test, you can safely skip the sound card auto setup and simply exit the setup program with the "Save and Exit" option. Then install the Windows 95 patch and run WC4W.EXE.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1