VOGONS

Common searches

Championship Manager 97/98

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by tarbee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have been pleading with my windows 7 pc trying to get the game Championship Manager 97/98 to work properly on Dosbox 0.73

The problems I have encountered are two-fold:

1. No sound at all - so no commentary in game..... 🙄

2. Cant use full screen as the colours get corrupted and I have tried various words for the 'output' like ddraw & opengl and no success.... 🤑

I would dearly love to get this game working even if it means playing around with lots of settings in Dosbox for hours on end......

Can anyone help at all.....or am I doomed to never play one of the best Dos games I have ever played - amongst greats like Dark Forces - Elite etc...

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated as I have fallen asleep looking at Google and feel googleyed after many many hours trawling the net!!!!!!

Many thanks in anticipation.....

tarbee

Reply 1 of 3, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had no problems getting CM2/CM 97/98 to run, with the exception of the commentary, but I've never managed to get that running on a real DOS machine either. I've looked through the CD and checked for Redbook audio and there's nothing to indicate the presence of any audio. CM2 doesn't come with any kind of SETSOUND utility, so I'm guessing the commentary would have come from the Redbook. You wouldn't happen to have the UK Sold Out Software version, would you? Mine is missing the audio, and Sold Out were notorious for forgetting to put the Redbook on the CDs (Tomb Raider was another classic example)

As far as the colours are concerned: try 'surface' or 'overlay' for output. Have a gander at my dosbox.conf:

# This DOSBox configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded. # Changes made to this file will NOT be transfere […]
Show full quote

# This DOSBox configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded.
# Changes made to this file will NOT be transfered to D-Rend Reloaded profiles list.
# D-Fend Reloaded will delete this file from temp directory on program close.

# Config file for profile "Championship Manager 2"

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
usecancodes=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=F:\D-Fend Reloaded\mapper.txt

[dosbox]
machine=svga_s3
captures=F:\D-Fend Reloaded\Capture\Championship Manager 2\
memsize=32

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=none

[vga]
svgachipset=s3
videoram=2048

[glide]
glide=false

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=fixed 160000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=48000
blocksize=512
prebuffer=1

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050
oplemu=default

[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=false

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=US

[joystick]
joysticktype=none
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[autoexec]
@echo off
SET PATH=Z:\
keyb US 437
mount C "F:\D-FEND~1\VIRTUA~1\"
mount D "I:\" -t cdrom -IOCTL
C:
cd\
cd \CM9798
Z:\config.com -securemode > nul
call CM2.BAT
exit

Reply 2 of 3, by tarbee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

Many thanks for your detailed reply. You are right I checked my files and cannot find any mention of a setsound utility anywhere or sound files at all???? 😳

I think I gonna have to buy an original CD from ebay or somewhere and start from scratch!

I have also considered buying a cheap/old windows 98 PC and using Dos on it to play the game seeing as my PC is Win 7 64 bit and about as compatible with the game as chalk is with cheese.

What are you're PC specs by-the-way?

Cheers