VOGONS

Common searches

System Shock I

Topic actions

First post, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys, I'm really sorry to bother you again with the damn SS1, but after reading ALL of these beautiful SS-related threads, I still have a problem. Here it is :

I've got a laptop, PIII 933, 256mo SDRAM, WinXP Home Edition (french version).
VDMS 2.04 is installed, the update too.
So here we are : the game doesn't run. The only thing I get is a black screen. I'm using the cracked CDSHOCK.EXE I found on this site, but it doesn't change anything.

I really, really need help. Thank you.

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 1 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timothy Archer So here we are : the game doesn't run. The only thing I get is a black screen. I'm using the cracked CDSHOCK.EXE I found on this site, but it doesn't change anything.

Start with the absolute minimum:

Configure the game to run with no sound for both music and sound effects (choose "None"). Use the 320x200 display mode and make sure your "cutscene type" is set to MCGA, not SVGA. Right-click on the game's executable, choose "Properties", select the "Memory" tab and change the EMS memory setting from "None" to 16384, then click OK.

Run the game's executable (without VDMSound), does it start up and run?

Reply 4 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, with a SB as digital card and without music, it doesn't run.
I'm also getting black lines movin' round the game screen when I try "high-resolution" mode (640x400, 640x480)

Could VDMS save me ?

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 5 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timothy Archer What do I have to do next ?

That depends on what you want to try next.

The GeForce almost always needs NOLFB.COM for any VESA displays...but I'm not entirely sure how it works with Laptop displays.

Do this: keep it configured for no sound for effects and music. There should be a batch file called CDSHOCK.BAT in your game directory (if not, create a batch file). Clear out everything in the batch file except for these two lines:[code]NOLFB.COM
cdshock.exe[/code]. ...then save it (make sure it is saved with the BAT extension and not TXT).

Now copy NOLFB.COM into that game directory and run the batch file. If you can run the VESA modes (640x400, 640x480) properly, then you can try running the batch file with VDMSound. If that works, you can try enabling sound effects and music.

BTW, this is the same info as in it's Problem Child entry.

Reply 6 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you have something that is giving direct access to hardware, such as a motherboard monitor. Look for something such as GIVEIO.SYS, and do a search for all files with the string "Ke386" in them.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Again, thanks a lot for all this help.

So, I tried the NOLFB installation. I just modified the BAT file, but, unfortunately, it doesn't work.
I'm getting a Critical Failure when lauching the game (Abort, Retry, Fail ?), and I can't even choose between these 3 options.
Same thing with VDMS.

I haven't go any GIVEIO.SYS or Ke386 files.

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 8 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, shame on me, I just forgot to insert the CD...
Hmm...

Allright, now it runs, but 640x400 & 640x480 are messed up. And trying to play with sound leads me to a black screen.

But each time I start SS1 with no sound, I also got a Windows prompt, which tells me the system can't open COM1 and COM2 port. After choosing Ignore for the two prompts, it runs.

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 9 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timothy Archer I haven't go any GIVEIO.SYS or Ke386 files.

Actually, for Ke386, you are looking for any file that has Ke386 inside of it. This includes all the files in the Windows and "Program Files" directories. The only file that is allowed to have this is videoprt.sys.

Originally posted by Timothy Archer Allright, now it runs, but 640x400 & 640x480 are messed up.

Then it sounds like either the video chipset has a compatibility issue, or the LCD display does... It sounds like you'll be stuck with 320x200 or 320x400 displays.

And trying to play with sound leads me to a black screen.

Then it sounds like you have a VDMSound compatibility issue. You might have to use a tool with better search capacity than the Windows version to find any Ke386 files.

...which tells me the system can't open COM1 and COM2 port. After choosing Ignore for the two prompts, it runs.

Unless you turn those ports on, you'll always get those warnings.

Reply 10 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, after lookin desperately for files with the string "ke386", I haven't find any. I've got the videoprt.sys file in my Windows/system32 folder.

That's too bad... Does it mean I'll never play SS1 with sound ? Which searching tool should I use, and why searching for those files ?

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 11 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timothy Archer So, after lookin desperately for files with the string "ke386", I haven't find any.

Then you probably don't have those files on your PC. Although, we did have at least one case where someone had to use FileFinder to find such files.

One thing we forgot, you should also check for the presence of TOTALIO.SYS or WINIO.SYS files.

Does it mean I'll never play SS1 with sound ? Which searching tool should I use, and why searching for those files ?

Don't know and FileFinder.

Reply 12 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, just tried the search with File Finder, and here's what I got :

In c:\Windows, 4 files with the string ke386 :
videoprt.sys
tvcc2000.sys
ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrnlpa.exe

No files in c:\Program Files.

What should I do ?

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 16 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timothy Archer Just did it. But it doesn't change anything.

You confirmed that you have no TOTALIO.SYS or WINIO.SYS files on your laptop?

BTW, System Shock isn't a good test to see if VDMSound has started working yet (too many variables).

Try Ms PacEm instead. It auto-configures (IRQ, DMA, etc...). If you run it with VDMSound (and VDMSound is working), you'll get sound effects and music.

Reply 17 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Checked again, no Totalio or Winio.sys file.

Big problems with MsPacem.
Doesn't run, with or without VDMS. Only got a sound, which must be an introducting sound, but black screen.

Sounds bad, doctor ?

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 18 of 25, by Timothy Archer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's me, again, and I'm still DEAF in SS1. I really dunno what to do now, and I really think it isn't worth playing the CD version of the game without sound.
Is there something I didn't try yet, or do I have to find a P90 on eBay ?

Remember me, insect ?

Reply 19 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timothy Archer Checked again, no Totalio or Winio.sys file.

Ok.

Big problems with MsPacem.
Doesn't run, with or without VDMS. Only got a sound, which must be an introducting sound, but black screen.

Hrmm. Honestly not sure what is going on... Sounds like maybe your laptop doesn't like to display certain DOS screenmodes. Try changing your VDMSound shortcut for Ms.PacEm to use OPL2 or DualOpl2 for music instead of the "Automatic" AdLib option (it's in the Advanced settings) and save the shortcut's settings. Try it again and after the intro sound effect plays, hit the Enter key every five seconds or so...you should eventually hear the game's intro music, followed by "gobbling" sound effects.

(The first time you start up Ms.PacEm, there are multiple static intro screens, this is why you have to keep hitting Enter).