VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thebody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to run the old strategic SImulations game Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures under windows XP.

I can get sound(PC speaker) but cannot see much on the screen. FOr the loadup screen I can see a faint line across the middle, and if I press enter to progress past that I can VERY FAINTLY see Unlimited Adventures and Current Module. I considered it a palette problem at first that I was getting all low end palette colors, but selecting 'Run in 256 colors' from the compatibility tag didn't seem to make any difference.

I have also tried running through PCbox to no avail. Any help would be appreciated, I've been around computers a bit and can follow instructions, but still - please consider me a newbie and try to go light on the jargon.

Thanks,

Rob

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by thebody I am trying to run the old strategic SImulations game Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures under windows XP.

Well, you could run this with VDMSound...but you would still have speed issues. DosBox should run it fine.

Reply 2 of 4, by thebody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The program seems to be running, as I said it plays the intro music sound fine(well, as fine as PCspeaker sound can get). The problem is I can't see anything. It seems that my computer is using too many colors as the screen shows as black and colors very close to black. From memory(I used to run this on a win98 machine) the words I view were white. I don't know much about color palettes but I assume black is at one end and white at the other, so the fact the white shows as a lighter black would seem to suggest that the palette has slid...to the dark side if you will.

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by thebody The problem is I can't see anything. It seems that my computer is using too many colors as the screen shows as black and colors very close to black.

*pauses*

That would seem to indicate problems with your monitor or video card. As 256 colors certainly isn't "too much"...

Recommend that you run this in DosBox (as I said previously), but leave it in Windowed mode.