Common searches

First post, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.

Im new here.

Im trying to get Clash of steel to work on my XP

I have tried the dosbox but appearantly i can not get it to start. (i have dos box. but when i hit the start box, nothing happens.

what do i need to do to fix this.
could you please privately email me at craigbrennercj@yahoo.com

thanks

Reply 1 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
craig wrote:

what do i need to do to fix this.

Dunno. Read posting guidelines. Post according to them. THEN ask.

could you please privately email me at craigbrennercj@yahoo.com

no.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 19, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Game: Clash of steel.

Specs: Win XP. Dell computer 2001. Unsure of exact specifics. Runs All new games well.

Problem: unable to load clash of steel

Error: Run time Error and unable to load sound system.

Game is a 1993 dos game.

have tried loading thru dosbox but unable to get dosbox to run.

please advise.
thanks

Reply 4 of 19, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I tried DOSbox, I dont know what NTVDM is. what is it. is that somthing i should try.

would it help if i add a link to the clash of steel download?

it was a SUPER GREAT turn based WW 2 Strategy game that I enjoyed for years.

It would be awesome to play it another time . thanks!!
sorry about the double link. I ll have to read the posting rules sometime.

Reply 5 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by craig Specs: Win XP. Dell computer 2001. Unsure of exact specifics.

Try running AIDA32 (the personal version). If you choose the ZIP version you don't even have to install it, just unzip and run the AIDA executable.

Error: Run time Error and unable to load sound system.

That means your processor is running too fast for the executable to work. You can try running ctbppat on the various executable files (.EXE), but some of those don't appear to be "patchable" (hopefully, they aren't speed-sensitive).

have tried loading thru dosbox but unable to get dosbox to run.

You're saying you can't even get DosBox to start? or you don't know how it works?

"Clash of Steel" works in DosBox v0.58 and a recent CVS release of DosBox.

Either way, you might have problems with SVGA/VESA displays, but apparently the title screen is the only part of the game that uses it.

Reply 6 of 19, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried downloading both programs you suggested. I installed and ran the AIDA program. No problem. but when I tried to start COS, I still get the same errors. do i need to put aida in any special directory or such ??

2. I downloaded the second program ctbppat.zip . I installed an unzipped it. when I run it , it goes to dos i think then crashes. breifly it states some sort of error, but I am nbot able to get it to stay on the screen long enough to report.

3. as for Dosbox, I have a version which runs as follows:
dos box opens and asks for you to input the file (in this casse Clash of steel ) that you would like to have it open. so I do this.

then there is a box which says "start" on the bottom left of the screen. I try to hit this and nothing happens. this is what I meant when I said that dosbox did not work.
perhaps I dont have the correct version. If you provide a direct link to the one you mentioned, maybe I can get it to run.

From your reply, I get that you have Clash of Steel runnning on your computer??? if so that gives me hope. I am jut trying not to have to get my old windows 95 Dell out of my closet to play. I d have to reconfigure the entire computer.. but hey.... It might just be worth it!!!! (crazy suggestion ).

thanks.
CB

Reply 7 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by craig I installed and ran the AIDA program. No problem. but when I tried to start COS, I still get the same errors. do i need to put aida in any special directory or such ??

*sigh*
Craig. Read my previous post again. You said you were unsure about the "specifics" of your PC. That's what AIDA32 is for. It creates detailed lists of information about your PC. It is not a tool to "fix" "Clash of Steel".

...ctbppat.zip . I installed an unzipped it. when I run it , it goes to dos i think then crashes. breifly it states some sort of error, but I am nbot able to get it to stay on the screen long enough to report.

Craig. You're not just double-clicking it, are you?

You have to follow the instructions on the page it came from... It's a command prompt tool. That means you have to start a command prompt, change to the game's directory, then type in the appropriate commands.

3. as for Dosbox, I have a version which runs as follows: dos box opens and asks for you to input the file

*shakes head*
Craig, we are talking about DosBox from here. Snover already gave you the link in his post. You need to slow down and read these messages more carefully. If you see a "link" in a post (it usually appears as different colored text that is underlined), you need to click it.

From your reply, I get that you have Clash of Steel running on your computer??? if so that gives me hope.

Just getting it started up and clicking a few buttons. No "in-depth" testing.

Reply 8 of 19, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK.
1. aida- GOT INSTALLED AND WORKING.
i SEE THAT IT APPEARS TO BE A SORT OF 'CONTROL PANEL'. I did not spend a whole lot of time with it since it did not appear to be a launcher.... I did not realize it was so i could give you specs from my system... if you want these details, mayb e you can give me specific instructions as how to find them so i can save some time.. then ill provide you with what you need to know.

2. DOs Box. OK. thanks. I did not realize that the link you gave me was a direct download. (the only link I saw was to go back to vogons...). but anyway, I found the download link at the top and got a version of dosbox....

.. ok so now I have this version which opens a 'dos' box... looks good so far...
.. it gives me a 'z' prompt..
i tried to change to 'c:' drive by typing "C:" . It says there is no C drive. same for the D Drive.

C.o.s is on Drive C.
where do I go from here???

thanks.

p.s. amazed that I remember dos commands!!!!!!
what is a 'z' drive?!????
p.p.s 3 ctbppat.zip . no i was not 'double clicking; / it did not give me a dos like pormpt. if it does i ll tryto do what i can from there. it just didnt run at all. it was almost like starting clash of steel. it runs then you get the error. do i really need this program to run clash of steel ?
thanks

Reply 10 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by craig .. it gives me a 'z' prompt.. i tried to change to 'c:' drive by typing "C:" . It says there is […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by craig .. it gives me a 'z' prompt..
i tried to change to 'c:' drive by typing "C:" . It says there is no C drive. same for the D Drive.

C.o.s is on Drive C.
where do I go from here???

Craig. DosBox comes with a README file. Read it

p.p.s 3 ctbppat.zip . no i was not 'double clicking; / it did not give me a dos like pormpt.

Craig, tell me something. How do you start/open a command prompt?

do i really need this program to run clash of steel ?

If you are going to run it outside of DosBox, yes. Even then, there is no guarantee as not all files can be patched.

Reply 11 of 19, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive viewed the readme file.

the only line of interest was this:

Q: I've got a Z instead of a C at the prompt.
A: In DOSBox you can mount directories as drives
in win32: mount c D:\ would give you an C in DOSBox which points
at D:\ in win32
in linux: mount c /home/username would give you and C in DOSBox
which points at /home/username in Linux

Im not sure where to go from here.

i typed "mount c D:\" and it said it was mounted
but it still can not change to c drive.
i know it is a lot to ask, but could you give me specific directions?
thanks

Reply 12 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good day

Craig, if DOSBox says you have mounted a drive it's because it is. Anyway you'll have to CHANGE to that specific drive to be able to issue commands to it. This is done exactly THE SAME WAY as in MS-DOS. So, to change to a different drive, you must type the drive letter followed by a colon, that is:

Z:\>c: [ENTER]

and you will change drive, thus changing the prompt too.

C:\>

From there, you can navigate the contents of your newly-mounted drive using standard CD commands.

C:\>CD GAMES [ENTER]

C:\GAMES\>PLAY.BAT

That would execute a batch file called PLAY.BAT (just like real ms-dos).

Hope i have been of some help.

Reply 13 of 19, by craig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi. well. when I type C: at the prompt, It tells me that there is no C: drive.
It says the same for d: .
for some reason, I cant change out of this mysterious z: drive.

so i can not get into the game directory.

Reply 14 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That means you haven't mount any drive yet. Do this:

MOUNT C C:\
MOUNT D D:\
MOUNT X X:\

The backslash is important

And if you're going to mount your cd-rom drive(s) do this:

MOUNT F F:\ -t cdrom

Reply 17 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by craig i typed "mount c D:\" and it said it was mounted
but it still can not change to c drive.

That's because you told it to mount D:, but identify it as C:\

MOUNT C D:\

C D:\
^ ^
| |
| The actual drive (or directory that you are mounting).
|
What letter should be use to identify the drive (not necessarily the "real" drive letter).

Originally posted by craig IT WAS really really slow, though. and flashy.

Did you run it in a Window? Full-screen? Did you adjust cycles? etc... etc...

Reply 19 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox has several keystrokes available to accomplish certain things:

CTRL-F8: Increase frame skip. This will give you a little more processor power at the expense of jerkier screen movement.

CTRL-F7: The opposite. Decrease frame skip. I'm guessing the maximum value is 0, which means NO FRAME SKIPPING

CTRL-F9: Closes DOSBox and returns you to the system.

CTRL-F10: Capture mouse. huh?

CTRL-F11: Decrease processor usage. Decrease cycles executed. This will decrease the speed of the emulation.

CTRL-F12: The opposite. May help increasing emulation speed.

I THINK EVERYTHING HERE IS IN THE README, BTW 😁