User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I installes Rayman 1 on my PC and when I tried to play were this massage:

Headline: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

D:\rayman\rayman.exe
.X#=0D, CS=00C7 IP=00002018
The CPU component of NTVDM been stumble in exception that does'nt taken care. Press at "Close" to finish the application action. (something like that, I'm not so well at english)
what can I do?
can I download something?
can I do something?
(I tried to use the MODE PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY but it did'nt work, maybe I did'nt do it well)

I got:

Windows XP
368 MB of RAM
Intel Pentium 3
730 Mhz

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, we use three different approaches for running old games in this forums, namely:

1) Run the software natively, that is, using just a command-line dos box under windows. Windows XP now comes with limited SB 2.0 support.

2) Use VDMSound. This is a quite comprehensive NTDVM (NT DOS Virtual Machine, the part of NT kernel that 'emulates' dos boxes) add-on which 're-routes' all sound calls your old programs made to windows native sound support. You have a quite good MIDI, SB16 emulation.

3) Use DOSBox. DOSBox (0.58) is a full dos emulator. That is it fully takes control of everything just like you were running on old hardware. Latest version cannot run protected mode games (such as DOS4/GW, phar-lapp, DOS32, etc)

Good luck.

Reply 4 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Use the SEARCH function on this forum. I think Rayman 1 has been discussed before.

Multiple times...
showthread.php?threadid=804&highlight=Rayman
showthread.php?threadid=1968&highlight=Rayman
showthread.php?threadid=2064&highlight=Rayman

Basically, your problem is this: your version of the game is completely incompatible with NT.

You have few options... read from here and continue on...

Reply 7 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A boot-disk is a floppy that enables you to boot into an Operating System, usually ms-dos or other. You know ms-dos or pc-dos where the common Operating Systems for PCs before the windows era.

Reply 9 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using any win 9.x operating systems, you can create a boot disk by going to add & remove programs, windows installation, and somewhere around there is a tab that allows you to make it. If you have winxp, you'll have to download one from the net. Remember that booting into ms-dos makes 90% of current sound cards not work, because of lacking ms-dos support. Good for testing, though. Try the game without sound first.

Reply 10 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by giladve How I'm Using Dosbox and VDMSound? And from where I get this SB emulator and VDMSound?

DosBox doesn't support Rayman yet and VDMSound can't help you because your version of the program will not run in XP.

I can use it to my problem? and if I can,how?

How much help a bootdisk would be depends primarily on how desperate you are to play it right now.

The game would have to be installed to a partition that uses FAT or FAT32, not NTFS (NTFS is the standard filesystem for XP). Also, you would have to find DOS driver support for your audio chipset (whatever that is...). If there is no DOS support, you would have to choose "no sound card" in the game's setup and play the game in silence.