Common searches

Sysytem Shock

Topic actions

First post, by Zoroaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, yet another system shock problem.

I've got the game working, except the sound. After being advised to do so, my sound card's drivers have been updated (sound blaster 64v pci), but the problem that when installing autodetecting always fails persists. I know that the sound blaster is combatible, since it works on another computer (unfortunately i cannot use that machine because the game always freezes after a few minutes of play). How can i get the system shock sound card autodetect to recognize my card? I s their a patch availible to solve this or can i edit the config file (as i did to get the game to temporarily work on my other pc)?

Thanks for all your help, i know some of you must be getting sick of seeing system shock problems - as i am:)

Reply 2 of 7, by Zoroaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, i'm an amateur, could you please tell me what VDMSound is and how to use it? Sorry if you think i'm being a bit dumb asking such a question, but i really don't know.

Last edited by Zoroaster on 2003-10-05, 18:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

VDMSound is a soundcard emulator under windows for DOS games.

it provides via DIRECTX a soundcard independent interface to DOS programs.

This means:
Install VDMSound.

now you've got an extra virtual soundcard which is usuable and findable by dosgames.

configure dosgames to use vdmsound soundcard.

have fun!

See the VDMSound forum and it's readme and other documenation for more details.

Reply 4 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Zoroaster could you please tell me what VDMSound is and how to use it?

showthread.php?threadid=2389

Sorry if you think i'm being a bit dumb asking such a question, but i really don't know.

Beware. No matter how you go about it, running "System Shock" is no small thing.

It's a problem child, which is why it has it's own entry in the Problem Children thread.

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
showthread.php?threadid=2389 Beware. No matter how you go about it, running "System Shock" is no small thing. It's a problem c […]
Show full quote

showthread.php?threadid=2389
Beware. No matter how you go about it, running "System Shock" is no small thing.

It's a problem child, which is why it has it's own entry in the Problem Children thread.

It also seems to be one of the most asked-about games on this forum. Maybe someone should make a FAQ and post it, and then point everyone at it when they ask an answered question?

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ It also seems to be one of the most asked-about games on this forum. Maybe someone should make a FAQ and post it, and then point everyone at it when they ask an answered question?

Well, we have been asking people to search before they post, but a lot of people are apparently not getting good search results or not searching.