VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Revlis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone ...

Please,I need help ... I would like to run the game HIND (DigitalIntegration) ...

I have : Duron 850, GeForce MX 400, 64 MB Ram, Win2000&SP3 (NFTS) ...

I instal the game & tryed to run it .. but it create an ERROR! So, I try to get help ... I read about the DosBox,so I downloaded it from (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1 ... Windows) ... I run the DosBox,typed INTRO & after reading I maneged this :

1. the dosbox create a drive Z:\
2. The game Hind is located c:\di\hind\.. - so I typed

mount c c:\di\hind\
3. then ... hind.exe & nothing happend. DosBox closed.

I know I'm doing something wrong,or maybe I miss something,but I don't know WHAT!?!?!

Could someone help me??? thanks a lot

P.S. : The game (HIND) has 2 ways of instalation - DOS & Win95. I tryed both of them 🙁 .. but no results

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you type c: after the mount command ?

another possiblity is that the game uses features dosbox doesn't support yet. If dosbox it closes itself. (last line of the intro)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Revlis mount c c:\di\hind\ 3. then ... hind.exe & nothing happend. DosBox closed. I know I'm doing somet […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Revlis mount c c:\di\hind\
3. then ... hind.exe & nothing happend. DosBox closed.

I know I'm doing something wrong,or maybe I miss something,but I don't know WHAT!?!?!

HIND requires a 486 processor as shown here, DosBox 0.58 only supports 386 processor games or earlier as shown here (note that 286 and 386 are there...486 and Pentium are not).

P.S. : The game (HIND) has 2 ways of instalation - DOS & Win95. I tryed both of them 🙁 .. but no results

Don't expect DosBox to run any Windows game versions...at all.

At least one person claims to have installed and run the Windows version of HIND in XP using Win95 compatibility mode, here.

Reply 3 of 3, by thomsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dude, i assume you have installed and are trying to run the DOS version of Hind, On my CD there is a choice of both windows and dos. (dos is 'd':\install.exe) the win version wont work with db
What you are trying to do is mount the Hind directory to c:\
As far as I can tell the game recalls the install.log at every start up and assumes you have installed Hind to c:\di\hind and NOT simply c:\
so the solution is top 'mount c c:\'
then simply navigate to c:\di\hind\hind.exe

If it still doesnt work, mount your cdrom properly to D and c to c, it's in the dosbox manual and the install the game IN DOSBOX
voila
the game will run fine. sometimes a little choppy, so play around with the cycles and the frame limiter to make it go nice and steady

But I HAVE JOYSTICK ISSUES IN HIND, NEED HELP WITH THAT....
i have a 4 axis joystick with 12 buttons.dosbox 0.65
I run the game, unpatched. it works fine. the joystick x and y axis work fine and can be assigned to the steer the chopper cyclic.
Unfortunately, the tail rotor can only be assigned to keyboard or pedals, which the game thinks is my jstick throttle and the actual collective (thrust, throttle, whatever) can only be assigned to a throttle stick, which the game think is my Joystick twist...z axis
It should be the other way around. Tail rotor should be the joystick twist/'''throttle stick'''' and throttle should be assigned tothe darned THROTTLE controller/''''pedals''''!!
so all i want to do is switch switch the z-axis with the throttle control axis (whatever that may be)

I know dosbox joystick axis switching or mapping isnt possible (yet).. but maybe there's another way around from soemone who knows or from another game...
I tried to install the hind dos patch (1.2), it's supposed to do something to the controller assignments, but the patch makes the game crash while loading sounds. I have tried lots of solutions of fixing that, but to no avail, and it seems the controller assignment in preferences is no different from the old one...
so anyways,
unless there's a solution out there, or the dosbox team include mapping of all axis in the future, if you have a a good joystick and no other controllers you can only play hind or maybe even apache longbow with a 2 axis joystick and control the rest of the game only by keyboard (horrible)
the game is too complex for that

thx for help