VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sel666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
as i use a card mainly for music (terratec dmx fire), there is no wavetable support on it. to get midi sounds it seems a software synth has to be used such as sound canvas (roland). does this mean that no dos game will have wavetable sound? or can dos games run with softsynths. also i wonder if running them in the dosbox emulator would change the situation at all. thanks.

Regards,

s

Reply 1 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it all depends on whether you are getting midi sound in windows or not (even emulated). I believe VDMSound "re-routes" ms-dos sound to DirectSound ones (Microsoft), so that shouldn't pose a problem here.

In the case of DOSBox, i think there shouldn't be a problem either, because it's a full emulator.

Either case, you have the final word by experimenting. On ms-dos games, you can also choose FM Sound (Adlib, OPL2) as music source if there is no wavetable support.

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by sel666 as i use a card mainly for music (terratec dmx fire), there is no wavetable support on it.

This has to be one of the more bizarre sentences I've seen here. I'm guessing that for the general public, MIDI is no longer considered to be "real" music.

to get midi sounds it seems a software synth has to be used such as sound canvas (roland). does this mean that no dos game will have wavetable sound? or can dos games run with softsynths. also i wonder if running them in the dosbox emulator would change the situation at all. thanks.

All of this would be guesswork as we don't know what OS you intend to use. When it comes to running DOS programs in DOS, Win9x, WinXP, or within a full-PC emulator like DosBox...each method has it's own strengths and weaknesses. So which OS do you intend to use?