VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got my hands on the SB128 PCI with the intention of running games in pure dos (6.22) with sound, but for some reason the card is not detected. The same problem occurs when I put the card in another computer(win98 dos mode) so I'm probably doing something wrong...
Specs
p4 1500
512 RAM
gf2mx400
NO isa slots 🙁

VDMSound just doesn't run fast enough for me...It's very playable but I just want that games run at full framerate 😉

How should I install the dos drivers and where can I get them (found some drivers for the sb live, dunno if it should work on the sb128) Do I need to change something in the bios
What do I have to adjust in the config.sys and autoexec.bat

Last edited by 3803 on 2003-10-07, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's because the Soundblaster 128 PCI isn't a "real" Soundblaster. It's like the Live, only much, much more primitive. It is a Windows only card, it was never ment to run in pure DOS mode. I'm not even sure that it would be possible short of writing a game to use it directly.

(EDIT: Actually it can run in DOS mode)

The SB PCI was created when Creative Labs bought out Ensoniq, they just rebranded Ensoniq's PCI sound card as a Soundblaster. The 128 is a newer version of the old Ensoniq PCI card, however all cards in the PCI line are essentially DAC cards. They don't even have synthesizers, all they do is play and record digital audio. All Soundblaster compatibility on these cards is actually just emulation in the drivers. No Windows = no windows drivers and therefore no Soundblaster. Even the MIDI synth is a software synth buried in the drivers (this is why the Linux drivers are digital sound only)

Live drivers won't work for the SB-128 as they are completely different cards with absolutely nothing in common.

Last edited by Lobivopsis on 2003-10-08, 18:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PCI128 does have DOS drivers - you should be able to get them from Creative's web site. You have to use the drivers to ge the card to work in pure DOS because it's based on Ensoniq's proprietary PCI technology and is not compatable in any way with the original Sound Blaster cards on a hardware level.

Also, the PCI128 and Live DOS drivers seem almost identical - both seem to be adapted from Ensoniq drivers. However, I wouldn't expect Live drivers to work with the PCI128 as the hardware is significantly different.

Reply 3 of 4, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about the PCIport value in the ini file...IRQ is probably 11 but i don't know which PCIport it is (hex value) cuz in my bios the vendorid is 1274 (ensoniq)
I've tried SB128 dos drivers, and they give the same error...

Reply 4 of 4, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As one of the admins would no doubt write: search is your friend.

The link I had to my own uploaded file there no longer works, but if I get the chance I'll put some up again at some point. The previous poster is also possibly right regarding IRQs - I had a swine of a time getting mine to decide which IRQ to use, and only solved it by (and I can't remember how I did this) getting the card to ignore the jumper it has for this completely and letting the system do its own thang.