VOGONS

Common searches

Tony La Russa 3 runs blurry

Topic actions

First post, by Sandstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I installed the DOS game Tony La Russa 3 on my Win2K system. When I try to run the game using the VESA support under VDMSound, the game starts up and I can hear the music playing but the whole screen is blurred and i can't make anything out. It's like watching scrambled channels on TV. Is there anyway to try and fix this problem?

Reply 1 of 26, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the picture stable (i.e. is it just corrupted as if the video memory were messed with, or is it actually flickering and moving and so on as if you had a TV "sync" problem?)

What video-card do you have, and what monitor, and what happens if you do *not* use the VESA option?

V.

Reply 2 of 26, by Sandstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I have a Voodoo3 2000 and my monitor is a Panasonic SL70i. The image is frozen but it seems like it is cut up like a puzzle. I see a bit of it moving when I move the mouse so I guess thats the cursor. If I don't use the VESA support the game won't even start.

Reply 3 of 26, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it's not the monitor, probably it's the video-card.
Tell you what, uncheck the VESA checkbox, and switch to VESA manually when the game loads as foloows: when VDMSound shows the GPL for half a second or so before the game loads (you know, all that GNU license stuff) press Alt+Enter to go full-screen. Any difference?

If there is no difference then try to use UNIVBE (search on the Web or wait for someone who successfully used it to help here on the forum).

V.

Reply 7 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I have no idea how to get UNIVBE working, since it never did for me. Try looking at SciTech's site for information on it.

Also, since this isn't a VDMSound problem, I'm moving this to The Guide > DOS.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it does work but NT get's in the way.

Don't have this game but if it works in Connectix Virtual PC then it likely is a VESA issue. Some VESA games that wouldn't run in 2K work in XP but those that work in neither work fine in VPC due to VPC allowing direct access to the VESA on the emulated video card.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 26, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get UNIVBE.

Do the .bat trick.

Once the .bat is ready, either check the "VESA compatibility" checkbox, or do the "Alt+Enter" trick (UNIVBE itself needs to be in full-screen mode before it works, kind of like VESA emulation on top of VESA emulation).

V.