VOGONS

Common searches

Confusion?

Topic actions

First post, by Lexus Alyus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I installed windows 98se, then installed my motherboards onboard sound card (an AC'97 C-media 9738). That all went along with no problems and then without any problems at all I ran strife and fount out that the sound worked perfectly! I was thinking "Yeah, this is cool, finally I can play all my old games with sound," so I installed exhumed (which worked fine by the way) and then switched my computor off.

Okay, I come to my computor this morning, run a dos game and BAM... NO SOUND! I've tried re-installing my drivers and all of that but now I can't get any sound in either of these games, plus every other dos game.

Why was it working fine yestarday, and not today? I have done nothing in the space of that time. This really pisses me off!

Reply 2 of 4, by Lexus Alyus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about the duel post...

As for my problem, it's sorted now, I just re-installed Windows 98 and it works. I don't know exactly what it is that went wrong, I'm thinking it might bew some software that I installed that wrote over files in windows System directory... I dunno.

There weren't any yellow explinations, well, no important ones (There is one, but that's my other sound card, don't want windows to detect that one, so I've disabled it).

I'm now running a duel boot system with 98 and XP, and all my dos games work fine with sound in 98, then I use my DMX 6Fire in XP and that appears to be running fine too. I suppose it helps to have onboard sound 😀.