VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Flaser_of_the_HLP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello eveyone!

This is my first post so I'll waste a couple of words on myself:
I'm an old gamer (in terms on gaming), and used to play several titles, but as of late I purches less and less.
As for the HLP (Hard Light Pruductions) - I've been an active member of that community from 2002. The HLP deals mainly with Descent/Conflict Freespace and Freespace 2. Modding and a sourcecode project are present (major developments).
I live in Hungary, middle of Middle-Europe, currently studing engeneering at the Budapet Uni of Technologies.

My problem is the following:

Earlier I tried Mission Critical under Windown 2000 Server with VDMS, but I failed to solve the stuck mouse - it moves only in the upper third part of the screen.
I tried changing my mouse (USB) to standard one, even with base MS drives - nothing seemed to work.
I've recently redownloaded Mission Critical form HOTU (for the second time) and tried to run it usgin mouse2kv and nolfb under Windows 2000 Pro (no SP).
It doens't seem to be a vesa problem, since the game ran fine.

MOUSE2KV seemed like a solution - however it garbled the sound and failed to solve the problem, no matter what resolution I set.

There is a cofiguration file (Legend.ini) with a mouse set, however I don't know what the other setting could be for it other then 'MOUSE'.
The HOTU rip misses the setup file, only setsound is included.

My cofiguration:

P4 1.6
(Asus - I use nvidia drivers) Geforce 2 Deluxe
512 RDRam
Win2k Pro no SP (could this be the problem?)
The game is on an NTFS partition.

Other than the stuck mouse seems to run fine.

"Wer nicht von dreitausend Jahren
Sich weiߟRechenschaft zu geben,
Bleim im Dunkeln unerfahren
Mag von Tag zu Tage leben." - Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Reply 1 of 1, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The short answer is to upgrade to Window XP Professional (SP1) and you will not have the "stuck"mouse problem. If MOUSE2KV solves a problem on WinNT4 or Win2K, fine. Otherwise upgrade to WinXP and then MOUSE2KV will properly "accelerate" your mouse and allow the movement over the complete screen area.

It's an inherent NTVDM mouse driver problem in WinNT4 and Win2K that was fixed in WinXP.

Best of luck,

dvwjr