VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm setting up a retropc. After tears and hard work, all seems to work quite well now except an internal pci card for usb2 support (it's a trust HU-3150 with VIA VT6202 chip). I tried some dos drivers like usbaspi.sys and Duse.exe, no good luck for now. These are the infos afaik. I'd write infos about my mobo but it's difficult to see the board without unmount everything, I only remember it's a asus with a p200 mmx. If I manage to discover the exact ID of the mobo I'll update this post. Some suggestions?

Reply 1 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you know more than I about getting USB working in DOS then. 😉

I don't really use USB on old systems. P3 and older. The issue is that USB consumes more CPU cycles than PS/2 or AT DIN. It really does affect game performance on old systems. So you should consider using PS/2 instead IMO.

I use USB for a gamepad but only within Windows 9x. In DOS I would use my old CH Flightstick gameport joystick.

Reply 3 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A crude method of test:
- Get Puppy Linux, and install it to a USB pendrive.
- Boot puppy and get Wakepup2 (it's a floppy boot disk).

Insert wakepup2 floppy, and the Puppy pendrive. The floppy runs under DOS, and has A LOT of USB drivers. You may use it to check what drivers (if any) works with your hardware.

(BTW: I guess that you will need only Wakepup to see if it read your USB disk)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

has anyone ever checked my USB DOS thread? All you need for USB mass storage support in pure DOS, fast!!!
😊

I have a working DOS solution for transfering... cdrw was just too much of a chore 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a cool thread Keropi. I tried usbaspi5 and it says it cannot find hardware. I'll try with other sys files when I have time 😁

However I found a workaround. The system is a multiboot dos/windows98se so when I have to move big archives I start the pc using w98 (the usb interface works here) and I put them in the dos partition

bye!

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try having the usb-stick plugged on boot? In DOS there is no hot-plug feature....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website