VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Win98_R0x0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, i'm having some probs with vesa on my comp... video card's an ati radeon 9000, and i tested it with three games so far. i ran wing commander 3 and privateer 2, they both work fine, but when i return to windows (98) screen areas get garbled when i do stuff, the other game's tetripz, a weird tetris on drugs 😮 anyway, when i try launching it, both in dos and windows it's all messed up, my guess is that's an unsupported video mode... so i think i can pretty much nail my problems down to hardware support.
now, i tried using univbe to get some more vesa compatibility, but all it says is no supported svga chip detected. dosbox's not an option, since the first two games use protected modes (maybe i'll try that with tetripz), and under vdmsound vesa's terribly slow for them... i'm trying to get the snap and mgl files offa scitech's site, but frankly i have no idea of what i should do. i even tried messing with hardware acceleration to circumvent the garbling, but no luck. what could i try now? (i tried advancecab too, but it still says unsupported video mode...)

EDIT

of course, other dos stuff works, and tetripz used to run fine with all of my previous configs, so i take it it's a vid-card issue... hope i've been detailed enough.

Last edited by Win98_R0x0rz on 2003-10-23, 16:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try the other Catalyst drivers? I don´t know if this can help you in Win98, but my problem with garbled screen on return from some games to Windows XP was solved after installation of Catalyst driver ver. 3.7.

Reply 2 of 3, by Win98_R0x0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yo, i ran te snap diagnostic program, and something funny happened... it did his vesa stuff and when i came back to windows the garbling came back. this leads me to believe it might be a driver issue (omega's modified catalyst 3.7). hmmm, come to think about it, it used to happen also when fiddling with the windows gui settings... something about functions implemented in drawing the gui. it's weird it happens only with vesa tho'... i'll do some testing.

EDIT

i fixed the garbling problem, it's related to the fast z-clear i think (not sure, i tweaked the stretchblt stuff too and two or three more windows-related settings), so never mind about my rants about them 😜 there's still this tetripz prob... but i'll try it with dosbox first. thanks 😁

Last edited by Win98_R0x0rz on 2003-10-23, 17:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by Win98_R0x0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

know what might have been, the tweaks omega did. prolly he implemented the fast z-clear, which is by default disabled, nothing a good tweaker can't circumvent. yay, now i can play privateer 2 without screwing up my windows 😁 there's still the movie aspect ratio problem with that one, circumvented by the win version patch (which seems to hang on joystick calibration). well, thanks again (if not else for these great forums 😁)