VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has ANYONE been able to get ANY of the Windows vers of the Mechwarrior 2 games to work in NT?

I have the original DOS ver of Mech 2 that I picked up waaaayyy back in 1995 the day before I bought my new 486 DX4/100 with 12mb of Vram and a 1mb Trident video card! Woohoo! (Unfortunately the trident couldn't run it 🙁 , so I borrowed a Cirrus Logic vid card from a friend and it worked!)

I also have the DOS/Windows ver of Mech 2 :Mercs....The DOS ver works in NT4/2K/XP under Connectix Virtual PC and the DOS ver works under Windows XP.

But what I find most frustrating is that due to Mech 2 Mercs using such an early ver of DX (IIRC, DX v3). That it should work fine under NT4/2K/XP.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried to get the Windows ver working in NT? I believe it's as simple as the Windows ver querying some DX call that doesn't exits anymore, if so then it should be possibile to redirect it...unfortunately this is not my area of expertise. (Someday I hope!)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download my NT Game Compatibility list and check it out. I have instructions for getting the DOS versions to work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the 'Essential Collections' version of the game on CD-ROM (not sure if it's the same as the orginal but the following guide should help you):

1. Find and run MINST.EXE on the CD. (Don't use any extenstions such as VDMSound or nolfb etc yet, just run it straight from windows explorer or from the native NT dos box).

2. Choose 'ignore' on the dialog about harddisk access not being allowed (the installation *should* continue).

3. Follow the prompts to install the game to your harddisk but don't attempt to set up any sound devices within the install prog, set sound and music to 'none'.

4. When the install has finished you can then use a utility like VDMSound on the 'setsound' app in the MECH2 dir to set up sound and music devices (they should auto detect to SB16).

Finally you may need to use the 'mouset' prog to gain the use of your mouse in Mech2, and you will definitly need 'nolfb' for screen resolutions higher than the default 320x200.

Here are the utils you will need for the install (plus some links to other section of this forum which describe thier fuctions and how to use them) If you need help with them folks on the board should be happy to help!

forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=13

'VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 1' (Sound Blaster / Joystick emulator, amongst other things)

'Mouse2kv' (util that fixes the 'mouse stuck in corner of the screen bug')

'Nolfb' (prog that fixes VESA support under NT)

**I also recommend downloading the new ntvdm.exe from MS, or applying SP1 (as it contains the new .exe)