VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Slade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I can't manage to run my dos-games with dos-box: I tried to follow the newbie faq of the forum, but when I type the path to the game's folder (equivalent to the" cd testdriv" of the faq) ,dos-box says "unable to change to *game 's folder*.

I tried also to add the path to the game's folder in the config file of dos- box but to no avail :dos-box says: "C drive doesn't exist".

Any help would be appreciated 😀
thx.
Slade

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you haven't mounted a folder as your virtual C drive in DOSbox. You have to either type or add to the autoexec section of the DOSbox config file something like the following:

mount C d:\game

Where d:\game is the drive and path of the game folder (or some parent of it if you know DOS and want to get fancy). This will make the virtual C: drive in DOSbox point to the d:\game folder on your real hard drive.

Once you've got it set up correctly, you should be able to type the following DOS commands (in order):
c:
dir

...and then you should see a listing of files that correspond to those in your game folder.

Reply 2 of 4, by Slade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much!Now I can get the game to run (...maybe someone should update the newbie faq 😉 ),but the game ( Dark Seed) run the intro then gives me a garbage screen ...
Any suggestions?
Thx
Slade

Reply 4 of 4, by Slade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...sorry ,I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I did find the newbie faq more helpful than the dosbox info ,but imho it lacks to say that directories'names won't always be recognized by dosbox as they are,hence the dir command to check their *true* name...

Any suggestions on how to run dark seed? 🙄

Thx
Slade