VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bit of an odd error. I have a system based around a Chaintech 6VIA5T motherboard. I have a vortex2 SuperQuad soundcard with a MIDI daughterboard. Windows 98SE. The vortex2 is emulating an sb pro and has its midi port at 330.

I can select DOS midi as "wavetable" for the daughterboard or "mpu401" for an external device, but I think either way it resides at 330.

When I run this old DOS warcraft game, I can set the sound and music cards. I set it to use GM and set the MIDI address to 330.

If I set the DOS midi device to the mpu401, the game seems to play OK but of course I don't get music.

If I set the DOS midi device to wavetable, the game calls up OK but when the first is loading it crashes. Sometimes it's a BSOD that clears, but on exiting the game Windows has crashed [it locks]. Sometimes the game itself actually crashes to what looks like 20x20 text mode with a lot of error messages, the first part of which reads:

DOS/4GW transfer stack overflow

The only other old game I've tried is Heretic but that runs OK - ie. I get music played via the daughterboard.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) I hope you OWN the game, because abadonware not supported here.
2) What are memory sizes in the .pif file for war.exe?
3) Try another DOS extender, like dos32a.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 4, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I have a real CD, bought from a retailer years ago.

I've got all the memory sizes set to auto in the pif.

The program runs ok if I exit to dos, but not from within 98se either by clicking the pif icon or by running the .exe from a dos prompt.

I'll look for this dos32a you mention.