VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ajm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own the two sims mentioned in the subject line, but they're on 5 1/4" floppies. I would ideally like to run them under dosbox (I see someone else has managed f19 stealth fighter) but they have some kind of copy protection that requires the original floppy to be inserted every time the game runs.

I've tried taking a straight disk image using dd under linux, but this hasn't worked.

I should have mentioned that although I can rig up a 5 1/4" drive temporarily, I don't have (or want) one in my main machine.

Does anyone have any idea how I could get these to run entirely from the hard disk?

Cheers,

AJ

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you could try mounting the copied contents of the diskette as a floppy.
Some disk detect features then behave differently inside dosbox.

mount a /tmp/floppy -t floppy

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by ajm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Qbix,

Thanks for the reply!

I should have mentioned that some time ago I tried taking disk images from the three 5 1/4" floppies and writing them to 3 3.5" floppies and installing on an old DOS machine lying around with no success - it noticed that the floppies weren't genuine.

Mounting the disk images as floppies under dosbox would be much the same thing, wouldn't it? Any other ideas?

Cheers,

AJ

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well if you don't try you never know.

but a diskimage from 51/4 ->31/2 hmm didn't know it was possible.

Other suggestions.. find a fix for the game which helps it find it's floppies

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by ajm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hum, I've just found an unprotect routine for f19, will see how it works later. Why I never found it last time I have no idea!

I think I'll try your initial suggestion first though, just in case.

These sims are also "protected" with the old "identify this object" quiz, but as I have the manuals that's not an issue. They really didn't want anyone copying their games!

Cheers for the help,

AJ

Reply 5 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If some of them use some kind of old-school disk protection, copying an image to hd won't work. Try using the floppy drive itself -> mount a a:\ -t floppy or look for a patch. Hmmm, i wonder if you already own the original, cracking it to be able to play is still considered illegal? It seems law allows the user to be able at least to make a backup copy. doesn't it?

Reply 6 of 6, by ajm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after about a decade I've got f19 stealth fighter running without the floppies!

I did an install on an old dos machine at home, copied over the three or four unprotected f19 files and then tarred and bziped the directory (under linux). Came in at a massive 512k - nice and easy to transfer via 3.5" floppy to my current machine to see if it'll work in dosbox under linux.

Only snag is - I remembered when I got home that my main PC doesn't have a floppy drive:P

Thanks again for the help,

AJ