Common searches

Reply 20 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

What is this game's highest screen resolution? Is it 1024x768?

1600x1200x8

Wow. Now I see where the potential problem lies. This could be fun. I am going to get this game, and mess about with it on a couple of boards. The CPU speeds on them will be ~1.6 GHz and ~2.5 GHz. Both have ISA slots, and therefore can support old sound card hardware like the Sound Blaster.

I notice in the mobygames webpage for this game that it supports GLide. I am guessing that software rendering will be the best and hardest test to get running smoothly, and so I'll just concentrate on that.

Another idea just crossed my mind. So long as an old mobo supports NMI, I guess you could pick a very fast system, and use a PCI sound card such as a Vortex 2, and get the game to use SoundBlaster via emulation. This way, you could build a really fast ~3 GHz rig, with features such as DDR RAM.

Reply 22 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

I notice in the mobygames webpage for this game that it supports GLide.

Voodoo1 and 1.00/1.20 only

OK. You've given me an idea. How about a Voodoo3 3000 card, for the original poster to use? I'm not sure what bit width the Geforce4 MX card uses, but who knows, maybe it's an OEM 64-bit version? A V3 card would work well I think, for an old DOS game.

Reply 23 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I downloaded the Demo, and edited its .CFG file to give me a screen resolution of 1280x1024. I tested this in DOSBox, just to make sure that it all worked OK, and it seems to. I'll transfer over the downloaded demo files to a Win9x/DOS HDD, and test it out on a couple of retro rigs. I'll try it with a Voodoo3 card, and report back with some test results tomorrow.

Reply 24 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I'll try it with a Voodoo3 card, and report back with some test results tomorrow.

Voodoo3 will not work
Voodoo2 will not work
Voodoo Banshee will not work
3dfx patch applies to full version only

btw.

geforce4 palette handling sucks. blood changes screen palette a whole dam lot. Solution - dump geforce

Reply 25 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah sorry I really should have made myself clearer. I fully appreciate that this game won't work with GLide and a V3. I really meant its "normal" VESA capabilities, using software rendering.

Reply 26 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

in that case

Voodoo3 will work
Voodoo2 will not work
Voodoo Banshee will work
Remember, later cards from 99 and later cripple VESA support. Your Geforce4 is in that 'crippled' portion

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried the Blood demo in a slot 1 P3 rig. It was using a Celeron 1.2 GHz CPU, running at 100 MHz bus speed. I used an AGP Voodoo3 2000 card. No sound card installed ATM. I set the game's screen res to 1280x1024 inside the .CFG file. The game played fast. Spinning around in circles was quick, but not super smooth. I am guessing that's a limitation of the game engine, although I can't double-check this because running Blood.exe inside Windows XP causes it to immediately crash.

The Screen mode options in the .CFG file are interesting. It defaults to mode 1, which is Vesa 2.0 mode.

;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 0
; - Vesa 2.0 - 1
; - Screen Buffered - 2
; - Tseng optimized - 3
; - Paradise optimized - 4
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6

Reply 29 of 31, by crocodilepeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all right , today i'm running win95 on duron1200 machine with some realtek sb onboard emulation . still don't have sound in blood (IRQs etc.) and quake (because q95 shows some errors) probablby i must get a 95 compatible gfx card
anyway need for speed works with sound and is as smooth as on c2d 😀 better than nothing. meantime i found wonderful quake port http://directq.codeplex.com/ looks almost 100% true to the original soft mode (point filtering,16xAF,-7 textureLOD) and is perfectly smooth

Reply 30 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Quake there's a myriad of ports that definitely will work. DirectQ and Darkplaces are among the better ones. for software ports like Winquake you'll have to pass the -dibonly parameter to get it to cooperate with Geforce hardware nicely. I even work on a port myself, right now I just have it forcing dib and no ddraw for NT, because SciTech MGL is quite volatile on modern video hardware.

Reply 31 of 31, by crocodilepeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

For Quake there's a myriad of ports that definitely will work. DirectQ and Darkplaces are among the better ones. for software ports like Winquake you'll have to pass the -dibonly parameter to get it to cooperate with Geforce hardware nicely. I even work on a port myself, right now I just have it forcing dib and no ddraw for NT, because SciTech MGL is quite volatile on modern video hardware.

well, winquake 1.0 works flawlessly on my vista64, thank you soo much ! 😀 thats all I needed
so now I only have to get sound working in blood on win95, if NFS has it then I guess it's possible.....