VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently put together an late 90s gaming pc to relive some of my favourites from the time, but its not working with dos glide games.

All windows games I have tried run well (Quake 1 & 2, Sin, Half-Life, Unreal ect..). But when I restart in DOS mode all the games I have tried so far (Carmageddon, GTA, Screamer Rally) the screen goes blank and the machine has to be hard rebooted.

After much searching on the internet I found maybe my CPU was to fast for them so I swapped out the PIII for an older PII 400 and all the games now work. But I don’t want to have to swap the CPU over for playing DOS and Windows games.

I tried the free release of Moslo which didn’t work. I paid for the full deluxe release to gain more options but this still didn’t help.😢

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

This is my setup:

PIII 600
Intel 440BX
512Mb PC100
GeForce2 MX 32Mb AGP (searching for decent TNT 1 or 2 to match the age of the system)
2 x STB Blackmagic 12Mb PCI in SLI
Diamond Monster Sound MX300 (will a yamaha midi board for this work in dos mode?)
IBM 30Gb 7200 rpm HDD
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did not hear of this voodoo issue before.

Some Options that come to mind:
-You can keep the P-II 400MHz installed for all of these 90's games?
-Try if a 500 MHz Processor will also work for both Dos and Windows. They are cheap now anyways.
-On many mainboards you can set the FSB speed in the BIOS: from 100MHz to 66MHz. At 66MHz FSB your pentium III would be 400MHz. But if intel is the actual producer of the entire board you won't have any setting like this?
- You can use glidos for the dos games?

Soupdragon wrote:

Diamond Monster Sound MX300 (will a yamaha midi board for this work in dos mode?)

It should work in dos with that card and such a mainboard.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 6, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for reply gerwin.

You can keep the P-II 400MHz installed for all of these 90's games?

I want to be able to use the extra PIII's MHz speed for Unreal Tournament and Soldier of Fortune games.

Try if a 500 MHz Processor will also work for both Dos and Windows. They are cheap now anyways.

Good idea I'll keep an eye on ebay.

On many mainboards you can set the FSB speed in the BIOS: from 100MHz to 66MHz. At 66MHz FSB your pentium III would be 400MHz. But if intel is the actual producer of the entire board you won't have any setting like this?

It's an old QDI bored with few options, I had to flash the BIOS to support the PIII. I have an Abit BX6 in the post which I bought on ebay that should have more options.

You can use glidos for the dos games?

I really want to run them on the old system with a CRT monitor silly I know. 😅

It should work in dos with that card and such a mainboard.

Great thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried two 3DFX games (tomb raider and GTA) on a Pentium III 600MHz with a Voodoo 3 (not a voodoo 2 like yours). no problems with that.

Soupdragon wrote:

I really want to run them on the old system with a CRT monitor silly I know. 😅

Glidos works quite well on old systems. And I understand the CRT choice, I still have one CRT too. At least it can do all resolutions without blurry scaling.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul