VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

some of my dos games need expanded memory to play

can anyone tell me how to turn on my expanded memory in WinME. At present moment i am not even allowed to choose the amount of memory i wish to assign cos ems is not turn on at all.

and i have tried changing my emm386 column in my system.ini file to no avail.

and adding the line device=c:\...\emm386.exe ram or whatever dun work cos winME dun recognised that line ...

thanx

Reply 1 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akira07 wrote:

...and i have tried changing my emm386 column in my system.ini file to no avail.
and adding the line device=c:\...\emm386.exe ram or whatever dun work cos winME dun recognised that line ...

If I'm understanding you correctly, you added something like:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE AUTO
to your SYSTEM.INI file to get EMS memory?

If so, that's the problem. It does not belong there. It should be placed in your CONFIG.SYS file in the root directory of your C: drive.

Reply 2 of 13, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm wonder if that's possible since i remember my winme rewring config.sys back to some standard way. Never ever got ems working in winME, damn crap OS 🙁

Reply 3 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

Hmm wonder if that's possible since i remember my winme rewring config.sys back to some standard way. Never ever got ems working in winME, damn crap OS 🙁

It should work. HIMEM.SYS under ME is loaded even before it touches config.sys, so yes they messed with it quite a bit.

They tried to add features from the NT OS, while maintaining compatibility with DOS/Win9x titles. Unfortunately "stability" was left out of the mix.

Reply 4 of 13, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nahhh ... i didnt add that line to my system.ini of course ... i tried removing some line which indicate noems but such line dun exist ...

and no way adding the line of device=C:\windows\emm386 can activate ems cos win me dun work that way as far i know ...

i am asking more in the sense of any windows setting that i can tweak with ....

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akira07 wrote:

nahhh ... i didnt add that line to my system.ini of course

Ok, misunderstood.

...and no way adding the line of device=C:\windows\emm386 can activate ems cos win me dun work that way as far i know ... i am asking more in the sense of any windows setting that i can tweak with ....

I did some checking. It's worse than I thought.

Well, one thing I would check into would be to re-enable your DOS access. Axcel216 has the links for this at:
http://members.aol.com/axcel216/dos.htm#DOS

Search with "Unofficial Windows ME" for one of the 3 "give-me-back-my-DOS" patches.

The other thing is to go to:
http://www.newfangled.san-jose.ca.us/Hacking% … inMe/index.html
and click on "Expanded Memory".

I originally was going to try to summarize it, but you probably need the full story.

Reply 6 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In other news, Windows 98SE is selling for next-to-nothing, so why are you running ME? 😉
Seriously, though. ME is a gigantic piece of shit, and I recommend you backup your data, wipe your drive, get a copy of W98SE, and install it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

In other news, Windows 98SE is selling for next-to-nothing,...

Really? Where? and how much is next-to-nothing?

... recommend you backup your data, wipe your drive, get a copy of W98SE, and install it.

Right, and mail the copy of ME to me (no pun intended).

Reply 9 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Nicht, why would you want a copy of THAT?

Heh. I'm the "Computer Management Administrator" for my family.
They know precious little about them, and want to spend very little money for them. Need to rebuild one very soon and Win95B just won't work on it anymore, so I need a replacement OS (Besides, they have no interest in DOS support and WinME can be hacked into behaving adequately).

Just about any old computer software store has copies of Windows 98SE.

Yes, but all the ones I've seen seem to be determined to not cut the price. $80 for the upgrade is what I'm seeing. I did see one for $40 at "Half-Price" books, but I think it was a "dedicated" "DELL" version.

Reply 11 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

"dedicated" "DELL"? It really makes no ...

Call me suspicious. I've heard of some OS CD's that aren't "complete" (lacking the proper installer).

Besides, I'm a cheapskate. Waiting for it to hit $20 or less.