VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Screamer used to be too slow for me to play in DOSBox in SVGA mode, however I recently upgraded my processor, so I thought I'd give it another try.

I can now run it in SVGA mode at full speed in DOSBox, however I'm not sure if it's controlling correctly. Having never played the game back in the dark ages of DOS, I have nothing to compare it to other than other arcade racing games.

The problem is that when going into curves at high speed, the car (any car) refuses to turn until I either slow down somewhat, or it crashes into the outside edge of the track. I realize that you can't go through curves at high speed and expect the car to go around them perfectly, either in a game or in real life, but it's like the car doesn't even try to turn.

In most games, trying to go around a curve at high speed results in the car skidding sideways into the edge of the track, usually accompanied by squealing tires. That happens in Screamer at lower speeds. However at higher speeds, there's no skidding, no squealing, and no sense that the car is even trying to turn. It just plows straight into the edge of the track. The image of the car doesn't angle to the side, it just stays perfectly straight in the center of the screen until it's shed enough speed that the steering begins to work again.

I'm not a race car driver and I don't profess to know how a car would actually handle at speeds above 100MPH, but I don't recall ever hearing anything that would indicate that the steering just stops working above a certain speed while on a curve. Lose control, flip over, yes, but not just keep heading straight.

Note that this doesn't happen on straight sections of road. I can steer just fine no matter how fast I'm going. However, go into a curve and over a certain speed, it's like it's not even reading the controls.

This happens with both joystick and keyboard. I don't have this issue with other games, such as Need For Speed 1 or 2. No, I can't blaze around curves without crashing, but at least the car seems like it's trying to turn.

I suspect this is the way the game always was, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Reply 2 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's an arcade game! They loosely based it on Daytona's handling model, so it's all about getting the slides to work. In fact, if you slide into another car who's halfway behind you, they'll wreck too (a useful tip!). I believe you start a slide by tapping the brakes (but it's been a while...!).

My best advice is to try all the cars, some slide better than others.

I also discovered that the game, if running on a super PC, may make the cars bodies tilt too much when sliding (which makes the in-car feel like a motorbike!).

But yeah, it's very different to Need for Speed!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

I dont remember it being like that maybe its a speed issue
I do remember you need to master powersliding to get around the corners

I hit the turn control (usually a joystick) the second I start to enter the turn, but the car just goes straight. The car has to lose speed, either by using the brakes or by slamming head-on into the outside edge of the track, before it will even begin to turn.

VirtuaIceMan wrote:

It's an arcade game! They loosely based it on Daytona's handling model, so it's all about getting the slides to work. In fact, if you slide into another car who's halfway behind you, they'll wreck too (a useful tip!). I believe you start a slide by tapping the brakes (but it's been a while...!).

My best advice is to try all the cars, some slide better than others.

The thing is that at high speed, the cars don't slide, they just go straight. Going into a curve at high speed, there's absolutely no difference between pushing the stick to the side and just keeping it centered. The results are exactly the same; You plow head-on into the edge of the track. This greatly slows you down and THEN you're able to turn & slide.

VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I also discovered that the game, if running on a super PC, may make the cars bodies tilt too much when sliding (which makes the in-car feel like a motorbike!).

I haven't noticed that. Of course I'm running it in DOSBox, so there's not much chance of it running too fast. In fact, I'm surprised it runs as fast as it does.

Reply 5 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I had a quick play of it last night. Basically pick a car with high grip (the Ferrari/Bugatti) then try NOT to get a powerslide on, as it robs all your speed and control. Just brake enough to be outside of the powerslide. If you brake hard it'll skid all over the place ("Brakes for the snake" or something the commentator shouts), try to avoid that.

Screamer2/Rally are more authentic handling (sliding/rallying) games.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 6 of 6, by FooAtari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah Screamer, loved that game. Played through it not that long ago. If I remember rightly letting off the accelerator just before your turn and then hitting the accelerator again causes the slide.

Here is a video I put on Youtube, might help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBs-PhfxNMs