VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chris_clarke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently purchased a copy of Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 on CD and i'm having major problems with it.

I'm running Windows 2000 and when i try to install it, it goes through everything as it should bu the directory it creates only contains two folders, CUTS and DATA. There's no .exe for me to patch or to run with vDMsound. I tried various things to get it to work without much luck and so i ripped the whole CD to my hardrive. This means i can put the patch in the same directory as the UW executable and thus makes it run. All good apart from i've got no sound and as i have not installed the game running there is no sound card details to edit 🙁

Basically my main problem appears to be that i can't install the game from the CD and therefore can't get any sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the copying directly to hd was already good. Make sure all the files are NOT read-only.
Then look at all the exe files in the main dir. Run Uinstall.exe and select sound and music card. Run usound with vdsm to set correct irq,dma and whatever settings. Patch uw.exe or uw2.exe. Run Vdms with either of these files.

Reply 2 of 4, by The Avatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sound is a great problem of UW1 and 2. I could hear the sound, but no video. Then I used dosbox and it worked very well.

But don't delete the idea that the CD is a pirate CD. It can kill your computer, I'm serious! VDMS can not run UW very well.

With a little search and a LOT of time, you can find anything that you can use to resolve your problem.

Of your friend,
The Avatar

Reply 4 of 4, by Hellworm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There were several versions of the Ultima Underworld Collection (EA Gold versions) that keep almost all of the files on the CD, other than the config information, and the save data.

Copying all of the data to the hard disk and modifying the config file for Ultima Underworld should allow the game to be patched with VDMSound.

Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart.