VOGONS

Common searches

Lands of lore 1 on XP ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Styx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I can't seem to get this to work under XP.

Abit KT7
AMD TB 1000 Mhz
256MB SDRAM
Geforce2 MX 32MB
SB Audigy
WIN XP
Lands of lore 1
Description of problem: doesn't give anything on screen (black screen)
Reproducibility of problem: always
Sound mode used: tried with all SB configs
Video mode:Software

Reply 3 of 6, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to run Lands of Lore under Windows XP (or any Windows), you
need to (I recommend this also for DosBOX):

- copy the file VWWSD.386 (from game folder) to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory,

- and you'll need to add three lines to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI under the [386Enh] section:

1.) Open with notepad or another text editor system.ini
2.) Find line [386Enh], than copy following lines under that,
like these:

[386Enh]
device=vwwsd.386
DMABufferSize=064
WWSBufferSize=064

3.) After all save the new configuration of system.ini
4.) Restart your computer

I expect you will be surprised, because I recommend this for DosBOX!!!
Without this changes game didn’t work at all!!! Before that I tried many and many DosBOX configuration, but nothing help. I don’t know what is really happened because I am not author of this advice!!!

Author is BLOODROSE!!!!!

I think that this game in some way finding out that you have start windows XP and ignore fact of emulation DOS.

That’s all.

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
El nostalgico wrote:

If you want to run Lands of Lore under Windows XP (or any Windows), you
need to (I recommend this also for DosBOX): .... <some changes in Windows ini files>

NO !!! You do not need to do anything like that for DOSBOX (the emulator) !
DOSBOX runs the game perfectly (I have the CD version!), so do not bother with some suspicious changes in Windows INI files to make it work natively. In any case those changes have absolutely no influence on DOSBOX (DOSBOX is windows native program, DOS programs running inside it are completely separated from the host operating system - from their point of view it is an old DOS computer!).

Download DOSBOX, mount harddisc and CD, install, configure the sound and play. Post in DOSBOX Games/Apps when having problems.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK its works for you, but before that it wasnt work on my computer. That is all.

And I really tried it under DosBOX without that, but nothing happend. Black screen after start and so on ...

Than I want was only help and if you dont want this advice foger about it. I want help people which cant start LoL1. And you can, than ... your request is redundand.