Stiletto

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What? Another one?
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~alandale/dmjava/index.html

Still think it's better to emulate the Atari ST or Amiga versions (emulating the ST version's easier but you lose the stereo audio).

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

...this doesn't really excite me.

Ah! An Infidel! ;p

First game to let me do what I always wanted in an RPG after being ripped apart by countless critters. Beat a giant purple monster to death with an automatic door and then eat it.

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Urrh? Sounds ... interesting.

If you've played "Eye of the Beholder", you've got the basic mechanics (SSI/Westwood copied most of the design from Dungeon Master) but the FTL people were just great with detail. From the way they used audio cues, to monster design, to the traps/tricks which often infuriated but would be logical to be there (Like the thief. Who liked to sneak up behind you, then make a beeline for your most important/rare item that you had. And if you didn't manage to smack him before he got 1 step away from you would NEVER get the item back. Good thing they didn't use that pooball too much). Or even the ghostly wizard who's waiting outside the dungeon for you to make him whole again (Funny part is, he really is there the whole time. If you run back up to the 1st level of the dungeon after you can magically see through walls; you go to the blocked entryway, cast the magic and you'll see him hovering out there). Oh and it's actually impossible to "kill the foozle".

In any case, it looks like the Java version is, uh, done, and, uh, the other one isn't, so, uh, use the Java one? 😜

I'd say yes. Note that there are some differences in gameplay, but they're all supposedly improvements.

Check Underdogs for more info on this and it's ported sequel/add-on.

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

... thanks for that, Nicht!

Then I presume you didn't about the "Chaos Strikes Back" add-on/sequel. From Underdogs: "Paul Stevens, who spent more than 1,000 hours to disassemble the original Atari ST code, and converted it to C++ on PC."

Too bad it was to DOS.