VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does somybody has the american or english version of that compaq MS-dos 3.31..? Its very expensive to find it second hand. And besides its very hard to find.. Someone can help me to get my XT computer a live??

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compaq DOS 3.31 has FAT16 support (so works with partitions over 32MB) which is probably what he's after. Whereas MS-DOS 3.3 only supports FAT12 and partitions <32MB

Of course, DOS is still under copyright so I don't think this is allowed here...

Last edited by DonutKing on 2011-10-13, 01:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah I was wondering what the goal is of that request. Sharing of copyrighted software isn't legal and trading of goods is not allowed here...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For now normal dos 3.31 as 720KB bootfloppy would be nice..
But i need to make an bootable under windows 7, otherwise i cant boot up my XT system.

Reply 5 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was no MS-DOS 3.31; that was a Compaq only version. Microsoft went from 3.3 to 4.

I'd suggest you avoid MS-DOS 4 though as it had some data corruption bugs (supposedly fixed in 4.01 but I stil ldon't know if I'd trust it)

MS-DOS 3.3 supports 1.4MB disks so unless you actually have a 720kb drive you don't need 720kb boot disks. Or does your motherboard only support 720kb drives?

Reply 6 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen something labelled as Compaq DOS 3.31 in an abandonware site. I guess that googling the terms will give you another results.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

There was no MS-DOS 3.31; that was a Compaq only version. Microsoft went from 3.3 to 4.

I'd suggest you avoid MS-DOS 4 though as it had some data corruption bugs (supposedly fixed in 4.01 but I stil ldon't know if I'd trust it)

MS-DOS 3.3 supports 1.4MB disks so unless you actually have a 720kb drive you don't need 720kb boot disks. Or does your motherboard only support 720kb drives?

Yes XT motherboards support only 720KB drives.. BUT that kouwell KW-530D floppy drive controller that iam using has support of 360 / 720KB, 1.2MB/ 1.44MB drives..

I know 100% for sure the floppy drive it self is an sankyo 1.44mb drive. Because i have tested it when it was connected on the 386 motherboard the case came with..

I think that the onboard floppy drive controller bios is non-working.. Maybe the rom is dead so i goes back in 720KB mode..

I tried to run elevator on dos 6.22 bootdisk on this XT system, but wont load. I think that MS-dos version takes to much ram.. so i kills to load the game..

Reply 10 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

have you got access to a win 9x pc
you could use it to make a dos boot disk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjUMOghzAuY

I have to wait when i get an ATX enclosure with ATX PSU otherwise i cant use my Athlon socket A system.

Write floppy disks on my windows 7 system does work on my older systems..

May i ask which files on those compaq 3 floppy disks?

1. MS-Dos startup (is this the boot disk?)

2. Fastart (is this the setup for installing ms-dos on harddisk?)

3. MS-dos operating (i think this is the operating system install files)

So.

1. I need to boot up the system with boot floppy..

2. Required to install ms-dos 3.31 on harddisk

3 Then use the dos installation files to install dos..

(is this correct..)

Can somebody make an tree which files are on those floppys..

Reply 13 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why don't you make yourself a tree of these images?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

I tried to run elevator on dos 6.22 bootdisk on this XT system, but wont load. I think that MS-dos version takes to much ram.. so i kills to load the game..

then post how much memory elevator needs also post the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat (from dos 6.22) and im sure we can free up enough memory

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness