VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently has just 16mb RAM, and Trident 1MB video (integrated on motherboard, no ISA or VLB - and no chance to expand, system only has 1 ISA slot and that is going to get a sound card once I work that out.

I am wondering what games will run best on this thing. I'm pretty sure I could manage these:

1. Doom
2. Original X-wing and Tie Fighter (missing floppies, don't think I can replace them but I have the 95/98 cd-rom versions)
3. King's Quest/Space Quest other adventure games (but might need a slow-down util)
4. Flight sim from that era? Falcon 3.0 maybe? (I have 4 but think it needs a pentium)
5. RPGs - Ultima 7, Ultima Underworld 1&2 (for an RPG Sandbox maybe TES Arena?)
Probably all SSI Goldbox as well as EOB series (but may need slow-down utils)

Tried to find 3d application software from that era, apparently Imagine 3d went public domain a while back, but www.imagine3d.org appears to be down/defunct. Would like to find a copy of Deluxe Paint. Video editing is most likely out of the question, even with an mpeg acclerator of some sort.

Thoughts?

Reply 1 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be blunt: rather than ask what you can play, mightn't it be pertinent to ask what you want to play? Because if you can't think of anything, why bother? (And why would you even consider doing video editing on anything not up-to-date?)

I guess there's Star Control 2, but really your experience would be just as good – better, actually – with The Ur-Quan Masters on any modern PC.

Reply 2 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Crusader: No remorse
- Syndicate
- Operation: Inner Space (but you will need Windows 3.1)
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Redneck Rampage
- Shadow Warrior
- TFX

Also, you better get a floppy version of Tie Fighter... it has better music (or at least, when "things" happens, it changes accordingly).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 13, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, as far as what I'd like to play, mainly my list. I can't really think of anything else right now, except Syndicate Wars, or Command and Conquer.
Diablo would be nice but I know it won't be possible unless I had a 486-120 in there with a much better graphics card. I think my machine can handle everything off my list. Pinball Extreme would be sweet, too.

Problem is, I'm bit fuzzy on which games I had that were running on what system. Like, am I remembering playing it on a dx2-66, dx4-120, pII 266, etc? I know I was able to play Diablo on a dx4-120 but can't remember the graphics card I had at the time. I know it won't run on a dx2-66 with a lousy
1MB svga chip.

As far as video editing, no, of course I wouldn't do that on a system like that, if I tried at all it would be a technical exercise to see if it was even possible. Limited as that system is expansion-wise, I'm not going to bother. I will most likely use it for old games I can't run in dosbox, and maybe to fart around with graphics programming on a vintage system. Not going to try web surfing or anything that just isn't going to work, or be so painfully slow that it doesn't make sense to do.

Reply 4 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

As far as video editing, no, of course I wouldn't do that on a system like that, if I tried at all it would be a technical exercise to see if it was even possible.

At the time, professionals probably had ultra high-end workstations for that kind of thing, when they weren't just working with analog media directly.

I will most likely use it for old games I can't run in dosbox, and maybe to fart around with graphics programming on a vintage system. Not going to try web surfing or anything that just isn't going to work, or be so painfully slow that it doesn't make sense to do.

But don't all those games you mentioned run perfectly well in DOSBox? Without even needing to toy extensively with slowdown utils, as you mention?

I give up. I'll shut up now.

Reply 5 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
snorg wrote:

As far as video editing, no, of course I wouldn't do that on a system like that, if I tried at all it would be a technical exercise to see if it was even possible.

At the time, professionals probably had ultra high-end workstations for that kind of thing, when they weren't just working with analog media directly.

In the early 90's the Amiga was the machine to get if you wanted to do video editing 😀

As for what games to play... there's heaps of them! I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere already.
But to get you started, some of the games that immediately come to mind (that haven't already been mentioned) are Tyrian, Transport Tycoon, Halloween Harry... I could go on for hours.

Also if you think Arena or even Daggerfall is a sandbox like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim you're going to be disappointed. There's not much outside the dungeons/cities, you just fast travel everywhere. They are both great games but they are very different to the modern iterations of the series.

Reply 6 of 13, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And you make valid points. But my main system is a Win 7 system, and I cannot get some of these things running under dosbox at all. Vista, yes, XP yes, but not Win 7. Haven't figured out what the problem is.

Plus, I guess it is a little bit a nostalgia thing, but yes I suppose its a fools errand considering I have much better gear. I really don't have a good reason other than nostalgia, or getting something old working again. Why do people buy 50 or 60 year old cars and hotrod them?

I almost bought an Amiga at one point, but by then I had too much invested in PC hardware/software, I would have been throwing that all out.

Reply 7 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

- Redneck Rampage

a 66mhz ain't gonna run that. The game works with a minimum of 640x480. Duke Nukem 3D struggles a bit on 66mhz even, at VGA

snorg wrote:

I know I was able to play Diablo on a dx4-120 but can't remember the graphics card I had at the time. I know it won't run on a dx2-66 with a lousy
1MB svga chip.

Diablo will run fine and smooth on a s3 Trio64v+ on a DX4-80MHz and up, and I remember it performing terrible on a DX2-66 on ISA. Page.......FLIP..........MADNESS

heh I should recreate that experience in pcem.....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 13, by AleSasha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snorg wrote on 2012-01-17, 16:56:
Currently has just 16mb RAM, and Trident 1MB video (integrated on motherboard, no ISA or VLB - and no chance to expand, system o […]
Show full quote

Currently has just 16mb RAM, and Trident 1MB video (integrated on motherboard, no ISA or VLB - and no chance to expand, system only has 1 ISA slot and that is going to get a sound card once I work that out.

I am wondering what games will run best on this thing. I'm pretty sure I could manage these:

1. Doom
2. Original X-wing and Tie Fighter (missing floppies, don't think I can replace them but I have the 95/98 cd-rom versions)
3. King's Quest/Space Quest other adventure games (but might need a slow-down util)
4. Flight sim from that era? Falcon 3.0 maybe? (I have 4 but think it needs a pentium)
5. RPGs - Ultima 7, Ultima Underworld 1&2 (for an RPG Sandbox maybe TES Arena?)
Probably all SSI Goldbox as well as EOB series (but may need slow-down utils)

Tried to find 3d application software from that era, apparently Imagine 3d went public domain a while back, but www.imagine3d.org appears to be down/defunct. Would like to find a copy of Deluxe Paint. Video editing is most likely out of the question, even with an mpeg acclerator of some sort.

Thoughts?

I have play Very Well the fantastic DIABLO 1 in 486 dx2 66cpu (but work at 50 mhz because fsb support only 25mhz x2) with integrated cirrus logic vesa local bus 512kb video memory

Reply 11 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's exactly the rig you need to play Dune II. (More than 16 MB RAM and the sound malfunctions)

ETA: Just noticed this is a 10-year-old thread

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 13, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-11-20, 15:19:

That's exactly the rig you need to play Dune II. (More than 16 MB RAM and the sound malfunctions)

ETA: Just noticed this is a 10-year-old thread

You can play Dune 2 just fine on a half decent 386 😀

The early levels are even somewhat playable on a Turbo XT 8088. But after more AI shows up, it becomes more of a turn-based game, rather than real-time strategy, if you catch my drift.

Visit my YT Channel!