VOGONS

Common searches

Swiv3Dfx

Topic actions

First post, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to love that game, but when I upgraded to the Voodoo 2 it no longer worked. Didn't work on the Voodoo 3, either. In short, I haven't played a 3D accelerated version of that game since 1997. Has anyone ever made it work in on a modern card (or at least one that's newer than a Voodoo 1)? Obviously I mean 3D accelerated, not software rendering. I seem to recall that it was only compatible with glide, not glide2, and that was the problem with running on newer cards.

ALSO: Does anyone remember a racing game called Ultim@te Race Pro? I remember that being a particularly fun game that featured Glide. I've been looking for a copy forever.

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

have you tried the voodoo1 enviroment variables for swiv
ps: are you talking about swiv from 91 or swiv3d from 96 ?
it has a windows version if its swiv 3d should run fine with a wrapper
pps: renegade ops is a modern remake imho

as for ultimate race pro runs fine under win7 with a wrapper (cant remember if it had a direct 3d mode)

getting voodoo1 games to work with a voodoo 2
Dos Glide Drivers.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 8, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
have you tried the voodoo1 enviroment variables for swiv ps: are you talking about swiv from 91 or swiv3d from 96 ? it has a win […]
Show full quote

have you tried the voodoo1 enviroment variables for swiv
ps: are you talking about swiv from 91 or swiv3d from 96 ?
it has a windows version if its swiv 3d should run fine with a wrapper
pps: renegade ops is a modern remake imho

as for ultimate race pro runs fine under win7 with a wrapper (cant remember if it had a direct 3d mode)

getting voodoo1 games to work with a voodoo 2
Dos Glide Drivers.

I'm talking about Swiv3D that was made in '97 to work with the 3dfx voodoo 1.

Edit: I googled for swiv3dfx and realized that I called it Swiv3Dfx because the name of the patch is swiv3dfx.zip and it's been a long time.

As for URP, is that Win7 64-bit or 32-bit? If you don't say 32-bit I would tend to assume 64-bit since that's what most people run.

Reply 4 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ALSO: Does anyone remember a racing game called Ultim@te Race Pro? I remember that being a particularly fun game that featured Glide. I've been looking for a copy forever.

I got a copy bundled with one my Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12MB cards, although not all such cards included that particular game in the package.

Reply 5 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the SWIV 3d - tested with nGlide, working with the small glitches.
The trouble is - the game uses winmm.dll for the disc check. So - without the no-cd crack you can run the game in Win9x only.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 8, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a voodoo 1,2, and 3 so I'll be running Swiv3D on the Voodoo 1 machine with Win98. My friend had a Voodoo 2 from Creative, that's where I probably learned about Ultim@te Race Pro. Since my last post I've gotten a copy, used Virtual PC Windows XP to install, patched to 1.5, copied all the files and reg entries to my Win7 x64 box, and attempted to run the game, which crashes even before a splash screen comes up. I have Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper 0.84c installed. I could try a different wrapper, if anyone has suggestions, or even D3D, but I'm beginning to suspect that URP won't run on a 64-bit system.

Reply 7 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got Ultim@te Race Pro to work on Win7 64bit but it was a bit of a workaround! I downloaded Virtual PC/XP mode then used the hard disk from that loaded into VMWare Player (free) with the Direct3D functions turned on. But the Direct3D version was a bit slow, so I installed a Glide wrapper (Zeckensack's I think) into the XP installed in VMWare, then it worked slick as it ever did. I think you need Win98 Compatibility Mode to make the steering work (it steers too quickly one way compared to the other otherwise).

I'm also talking to one of the programmers, who was going to look at recompiling the .exe so it'd work on Win7, but he hadn't had much luck yet.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 8 of 8, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I got Ultim@te Race Pro to work on Win7 64bit but it was a bit of a workaround! I downloaded Virtual PC/XP mode then used the hard disk from that loaded into VMWare Player (free) with the Direct3D functions turned on. But the Direct3D version was a bit slow, so I installed a Glide wrapper (Zeckensack's I think) into the XP installed in VMWare, then it worked slick as it ever did. I think you need Win98 Compatibility Mode to make the steering work (it steers too quickly one way compared to the other otherwise).

I'm also talking to one of the programmers, who was going to look at recompiling the .exe so it'd work on Win7, but he hadn't had much luck yet.

That's really great news to hear. I didn't even realize there was a free version of VMWare! I'm going to try it out tomorrow night after work!