Common searches

Jill of the Jungle Sound Effects

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 141, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Briefly tested Jill episode II, v1.2(b) and v1.2(d) with a SB16 CT2940 (OPL3-L) on a 200MHz P-III:
v1.2(b) is very slow and sound is screwed.
v1.2(d) plays fine, sound is OK: It doesn't sound bad, bad not too good either.

Also tried with a CS4232 based soundcard, Magic S-23, SBPro Compatible:
v1.2(b) plays fine, sound is OK.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 141, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NewRisingSun wrote:

1.2b being slow in general should only happen when the game is run under Windows.

Yes, I forgot to exit windows 98 when testing with the SB16.

Reply 23 of 141, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All right, version 1.2d definitely plays the samples via DMA, thereby sounding clean on an SB16.

Unfortunately, version 1.2d has a different problem, preventing it from being the perfect version: it uses the newer version of SBFMDRV (encapsulated in the exe file) that ignores velocities and gets the drum sounds wrong. This is most apparent in FUNKY.CMF, the song that plays when starting up episode 1. It sounds a lot worse in version 1.2d. (The CMF file is the same.)

Attachments

• Filename
    v12d.ogg
    File size
    259.18 KiB
    Downloads
    401 downloads
    File comment
    FUNKY.CMF played in version 1.2d
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    v12b.ogg
    File size
    270.72 KiB
    Downloads
    395 downloads
    File comment
    FUNKY.CMF played in version 1.2b
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 141, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it is obvious this way.
At least you solved the mystery.
Any chance the SBFMDRV can be surgically patched / backdated?

Reply 25 of 141, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

I found version 1.2(d) and will try it in my pride and joy to see whether Epic managed to solve the problem.

Where did you find 1.2(d)? I've been looking for a copy.

Reply 26 of 141, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, having the same EXACT problem here. JotJ 1 sounds go silent and JotJ 2-3 have very terrible sounds.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 27 of 141, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can any of you guys comment on how you rock JotJ on your SB16 in 2016? I haven't really done much research on SBFMDRV nor loaded Jill1/2/3.EXE into a hex editor myself, but I am wondering if we have a definitive Jill1/2/3 executable available or could possibly make one.

I am still doing some reading up on SBFMDRV and the CMF format.

This list of various versions of SBFMDRV shows a weird sequence of versions vs card revisions:

1.11 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB 1.5) 1.22 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB MCV) 1.30 - Sound Blaster Pro Stereo Version […]
Show full quote

1.11 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB 1.5)
1.22 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB MCV)
1.30 - Sound Blaster Pro Stereo Version (SB Pro 1)
1.30B - Sound Blaster 1.5 and 2.0 Version (SB 2.0)
1.32 - SB Pro 2 / SB Pro MCV Version (SB Pro 2)*
1.33 - SB16 / SB Pro 2 / MCV Pro 2 (SB16)
1.34 - SB 1.5 / SB 2.0 / MCV 2.0 (SB 2.0 late)

Was 1.34 the last version? (Apparently not as I just found a non-English version 1.35 on a random website after a Google search)

I wonder if the velocity bug was indeed a bug (or a shrug-off by Creative) and got fixed later.

Last edited by CkRtech on 2018-02-27, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 28 of 141, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
someperson42 wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

I found version 1.2(d) and will try it in my pride and joy to see whether Epic managed to solve the problem.

Where did you find 1.2(d)? I've been looking for a copy.

I have two copies of Jill of the Jungle Trilogy. One only contains 1.2(c) executables, the other contains both the 1.2(c) and 1.2(d) executables. The Trilogy with the 1.2(c) and 1.2(d) will have a JJFILE1.EXE 1.2(c) and a JJFILE01.EXE 1.2(d). The other two games use the same filename designations, (2/02 and 3/03).

CkRtech wrote:
Can any of you guys comment on how you rock JotJ on your SB16 in 2016? I haven't really done much research on SBFMDRV nor loaded […]
Show full quote

Can any of you guys comment on how you rock JotJ on your SB16 in 2016? I haven't really done much research on SBFMDRV nor loaded Jill1/2/3.EXE into a hex editor msyelf, but I am wondering if we have a definitive Jill1/2/3 executable available or could possibly make one.

I am still doing some reading up on SBFMDRV and the CMF format.

This list of various versions of SBFMDRV shows a weird sequence of versions vs card revisions:

Nerdly Pleasures wrote:
1.11 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB 1.5) 1.22 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB MCV) 1.30 - Sound Blaster Pro Stereo Version […]
Show full quote

1.11 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB 1.5)
1.22 - Sound Blaster Card Version (SB MCV)
1.30 - Sound Blaster Pro Stereo Version (SB Pro 1)
1.30B - Sound Blaster 1.5 and 2.0 Version (SB 2.0)
1.32 - SB Pro 2 / SB Pro MCV Version (SB Pro 2)*
1.33 - SB16 / SB Pro 2 / MCV Pro 2 (SB16)
1.34 - SB 1.5 / SB 2.0 / MCV 2.0 (SB 2.0 late)

Was 1.34 the last version? (Apparently not as I just found a non-English version 1.35 on a random website after a Google search)

I wonder if the velocity bug was indeed a bug (or a shrug-off by Creative) and got fixed later.

Added proper attribution to your quote. The list is not particularly weird when you consider that Creative released its sound blaster cards in that order : 1.0, 1.5, MCV, Pro, 2.0, Pro 2.0, MCV Pro, 16. It should be complete as far as I know.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 29 of 141, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Added proper attribution to your quote.

Great site!

The list is not particularly weird when you consider that Creative released its sound blaster cards in that order : 1.0, 1.5, MCV, Pro, 2.0, Pro 2.0, MCV Pro, 16. It should be complete as far as I know.

I guess I was just wondering about the 1.34. I figured that the further along you were, the more comprehensive the .COM would be - unless it was complex enough that they had different version numbers to correspond with the different lines of cards (1.0/1.5/2/PRO/MCV/16+). And that would especially make sense if they wanted to limit the size of the COM file. I wonder why they didn't go with a different version number (say SBFMDRV 2.0+) for the SB16 line.

I have a copy of SBFMDRV version 1.34, and it writes the supported card string upon execution as "SB16 / SB Pro 2 / MVC Pro 2" If that is the case, it appears Creative was releasing different copies of SBFMDRV with the same version number. The 1.34 mentioned on your site came with a SB 2.0 late. I guess this was a version 1.34 that came with the SB16.

And then back to Jill - which version is encapsulated into the 1.2d exe? I haven't spent quality time with a hex editor, but I suppose I could try to find out.

The openJill project seems interesting, although perhaps slightly abandoned at the moment.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 30 of 141, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does one of you guys have a resource for the differences between the versions of Jill?

I have an issue on my 386 PC where Jill 1 does /something/ to the SCSI controller, resulting in the game hanging and eventually "Not ready reading drive C", though Jill 2 and 3 are OK. How do you check what version you have?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 31 of 141, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Does one of you guys have a resource for the differences between the versions of Jill?

I have an issue on my 386 PC where Jill 1 does /something/ to the SCSI controller, resulting in the game hanging and eventually "Not ready reading drive C", though Jill 2 and 3 are OK. How do you check what version you have?

All the information that is available is located in or linked from this thread. Executable checksums can be used to determine the version, find them here : http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/Jill_of_the_Jungle . https://www.classicdosgames.com/ has more than one version of Jill 1, which was always shareware.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 32 of 141, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

All the information that is available is located in or linked from this thread. Executable checksums can be used to determine the version, find them here : http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/Jill_of_the_Jungle . https://www.classicdosgames.com/ has more than one version of Jill 1, which was always shareware.

Ah, I must have scrolled past the size+checksum data when I first visited Shikadi.net. Thus confirming my belief that I'm an idiot. 😜

My executable was smaller than even the smallest sample shown on that page, so I can only assume it was corrupted. The three versions available at classicdosgames.com worked just fine, so I have no idea what happened to my copy.

Thanks for your help!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 33 of 141, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NewRisingSun wrote:

I think the problem is that it's the SB16's dynamic low-pass filter (compared to the simple low-pass filter on the SBPro and no filter on simple SBs) which acts screwy with the DMA-less method of manually writing every PCM byte into the DSP

That's interesting! Does Jill1.2(d) make use of the BLASTER variable ?
If so, it would be interesting to know how it sounds on an actual SB16 when Jill sends data in a SB 2.0 kind of fashion.
Like the older versions did, so to speak. Perhaps it's useless, but it would be interesting to verify if the issue is still there in DMA-less mode.

SquallStrife wrote:

Thus confirming my belief that I'm an idiot. 😜

Nah, wouldn't say that. Just look at how I screwed up things in my SQ3 thread. I'm the bigger fool, I'm afraid.
Just remember: To err is human but to really mess things up requires a computer. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 141, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I simply can't get music in 1.2(b) and 1.2(c) trilogy...
I disable L1 cache with an MMX 233 to get to 486 speeds with a SBPro2 CT1600, all three games report Sound=ON Music=On, I get sounds but no music.
The only version that is consistent is the shareware Jill1 1.2(d).

EDIT:
Okay, another version that consistently loads Music and Sound is v1.0 when L1 disabled.
V1.2 (b) or (c) simply don't want to play music.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 35 of 141, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have made a binary difference patch that updates the registered versions 1.0, 1.2b, and 1.2c to the latest version 1.2d. This latest version should have no digital sound issues. Because version 1.2d uses the DMA for sample playback, sound effects will sound much cleaner on the Sound Blaster 16 and AWE cards than with previous versions, which manually write each sample byte to the Sound Blaster DSP. The latest version is furthermore patched to correct sound effect dropouts on Sound Blaster 16/cards caused in part by speed-sensitive IRQ detection code.

Extract JILLUPD.ZIP into a directory that contains all three episodes, and run APPLYPAT.BAT in real DOS or within DOSBox. Version 1.0 did not seem to have the game selection menu yet, so I made a binary diff file that creates the menu executable from v1.0's JILL2.EXE. JILLUPD.ZIP also resets the high score table, and restores the deleted Commander Keen joke to Episode 1's map level, which is why MAP.JN1 and JILL?.CFG are overwritten. If someone provides me with other game versions, I can modify JILLUPD.ZIP so that these versions can be updated to v1.2d as well.

As I mentioned before, v1.2d of the game has one disadvantage: the music sounds worse because the .CMF playback routine changed (from an embedded late-version SBFMDRV to the Worx Toolkit's own routine). JILLFM.ZIP is the remedy: it redirects the calls made to the game's internal (bad) CMF player to Creative Labs's original SBFMDRV v1.22, which sounds much better in the drum channel. Extract JILLFM.ZIP into the directory after applying JILLUPD, and allow JILL.BAT to be overwritten. And if you don't like SBFMDRV.COM v1.22's playback, you can easily replace it with the driver version of your choice. In particular, you can replace it with the version that came with the Sound Blaster Pro 1 (2xOPL2) to hear the music in stereo when used with such a card, or with sbtype=sbpro1 in DOSBox.

Edit: Updated the two patches, new versions here.

Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2018-12-02, 21:37. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 39 of 141, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet. Thanks a bunch for the patch.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK