VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wolf3d.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again..

I'm trying to run Bart Vs. the Space Mutants in pure dos and can't get past the copy protection. I've tried disabling L1 cache or booting with clean settings and whatnot. The game has a crack TSR that should bypass the protection.. but even if I give the correct answer from the code sheet, I get a blank screen.

I have a Pentium 75 MHz, 32 MB, MS-DOS 6.22. Anyone actually get this game running on a pure dos environment?

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have a copy that I was able to run in DOSBox correctly, but as the OP states, he is trying to run it in pure DOS on a Pentium 75 and not DOSBox.

Which EXE are you trying to run? As I recall, it has a bunch of them. And of course if you're not using an installation from original disks, it might be sensitive to the exact location from which you're trying to run the game.

Reply 3 of 7, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I misread that post entirely. However, I suppose that the first question should be - did you get it to run in DOSBox? If not, then there might be a problem with the installation. If so, then it might be a problem with sound drivers or something.
There are only two .exes - one for the Ocean logo animation, and one for the game (which carries the copy protection).

Reply 4 of 7, by wolf3d.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. I figured somehow the game is conflicting with my Sound Blaster 16 ISA card (CT2770). Once the card is removed, the game works... I've tried some different IRQs and booting with F5, but no luck..

Gonna try my SB Pro (CT1330A Rev.4) next. I know very little about the specifics of this card.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stumbled upon this just now. Seems legit. No, really!
http://sfprod.shikadi.net/old/games/simpson2.htm

At the copy protection screen, where you see Bart's head, type I NEED HELP SO LET ME SKIP THE HEADS..... to skip the heads and the copy protection, and to go straight to the title screen.

But then, that might just make it crash at some point after the copy protection scheme.

Reply 6 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get this game working, running an original version. It runs from both floppy or HD but then blank screen after typing in the page number for copy protection. It works in dosbox.
First game I have that doesn't work on a 486 simply caused the presence of a ISA Sb16. Running with a ct2230, even without initializing the card with diagnose.exe and selecting no audio will still hang the game. Removing the sb16 from system and the game works.

Reply 7 of 7, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-14, 16:02:

I've been trying to get this game working, running an original version. It runs from both floppy or HD but then blank screen after typing in the page number for copy protection. It works in dosbox.
First game I have that doesn't work on a 486 simply caused the presence of a ISA Sb16. Running with a ct2230, even without initializing the card with diagnose.exe and selecting no audio will still hang the game. Removing the sb16 from system and the game works.

I've spent the last hour trouble shooting this game. Here's what I discovered:

- if you use MS DOS 6.22 HIMEM and EMS386 and zero sound drivers loaded it runs
- if you use MS DOS 5.0 it locks up
- if you use Creative sound drivers it locks up (CTCU is enough to make it freeze)
- I tried with my MT-32 but without the sound drivers loaded I couldn't use SOFTMPU.
- If I try with my MT-32 WITH sound drivers loaded, I get a brief sound and I can see it's communicating with my MT-32 but after 2 seconds this stops and everything freezes.

Basically if I don't load the sound drivers, I only get PC speaker sound but the game runs fine. It seems the game really does not like Creative cards.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870