VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I have an old 386 pc with an SB16 in it, and I've recently bought an MT-32 which i'm hooking up to the soundcard using a gameport to midi connector.

I'm having trouble getting the MT-32 to work with MT-32 specific games, on dos 6.22

The soundcard itself has all the drivers installed and works fine for digitial sound, and general midi. If I try run monkey island 1 (with the 'r' parameter) - I get no music from the MT-32. It's not receiving midi messages and the green light doesn't light up.

If I run Monkey2 (again with 'r' param) I get an error "Unable to initialize SoundDriver" and the game dumps me back to the Dos prompt.

I tried Day of the tentacle, set to use the roland music option in setup, and that too, like Monkey1, just doesn't seem to send data to the mt-32

I know the MT-32 is hooked up correctly, as I can configure Doom2 to use General Midi, and that will send data to the MT-32 which itself then plays the music (the midi message green light blinks, and the numbers on the LED screen flick) It's definitely working in some capacity.

Anyone got an ideas? Do I need to do anything specific to enable MT-32 with the Sb16? Am I meant to have the card configured to use certain ports only? I did remove the SB16 and changed some of the jumpers as they weren't on defaults (the Midi port is now at 300) but that made no difference.

I don't have a usb->midi cable to test things on my Windows 7 machine, and my other old pcs are out of action at the moment so I'm stuck testing on this one machine.

Any suggestions I could try would be really appreciated!

Reply 1 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is heaps of info about this topic 😀

In short the MPU401 (or MIDI interface) of the SB16 isn't intelligent mode compatible. Back in the day when you had a MT-32 you would have purchased a Roland MIDI interface (or a LAPC-I which has everything in one card).

MIDI port should be 330 as this is the default for Roland.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I thought the intelligent mode was only required for Sierra games? so i'm totally out of luck as-is with regards to getting Lucasarts games working?

Reply 3 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sirlemonhead wrote:

Hi,

I thought the intelligent mode was only required for Sierra games? so i'm totally out of luck as-is with regards to getting Lucasarts games working?

Yup all the good stuff 😀

For Sierra there are patches. So most games you can get going.

And then there is always DOSBox or ScummVM through a USB (or other) MIDI adapter.

Reply 5 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a PC with Windows and a MIDI adapter then give ScummVM and DOSBox a go. The MT-32 will play the music just like on a real PC 😀

Roland MPU401 cards are quite rare and expensive. Easiest (but not cheapest) is to get the SCC-1 which is a Sound Canvas (General MIDI) and MPU401 interface in one card.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The LucasArts games should work fine with a MT-32 connected via SB16, no intelligent mode required.

Check again if you have your SB16 configured correctly. For most MT-32 games, the MIDI I/O port has to be set to address 330h.

Reply 8 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not that I have tested it, but I have read that the EWS 64XL supported Intelligent mode. Please correct me if that is blatant wrong.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks 5u3, it's working now!

I reverted the mpu401 port to 330 via the hardware jumper, then made sure I specified 330 for the port number in diagnose.exe rather than letting it auto detect.

Monkey1 and 2 working great now! 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats on getting it working! 😉

Note that like Mau1wurf1977 said, some games won't work without a Roland MPU-401 or 100% compatible interface.
Click here for a list of these games, compiled from the VOGONS forums by Great Hierophant.