Rank

Thanks for that, the problematic files are as follows:
1003.SND | Offset = F124
1010.SND | Offset = 3C43C
1012.SND | Offset = 4FED6
1013.SND | Offset = 597CE
1017.SND | Offset = 6DB4C
1020.SND | Offset = 7BF82
Included the offsets in case it helps =)

Sorry for the late reply, had problems with DosBox so I couldn't have checked.
And the problem is still there with the untouched game ^^

Reply 222 of 332, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the double post but I also wanted to ask if it's possible to use that extractor with other games (from other companies than Dynamix or Sierra)

Reply 226 of 332, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
country.snd (the only one that has a instrument panning weirdly, a feature not present in the GM set) blazooes.snd (this and all […]
Show full quote

country.snd (the only one that has a instrument panning weirdly, a feature not present in the GM set)
blazooes.snd (this and all the other ones have that ugly distorted instrument that doesn't sound right and sounds like the pitch is bent wrongly)
keeptryn.snd
withagun.snd
fifties.snd
hueydewy.snd

OK, finally.

Country = plays fine. Not sure what your comment about panning weirdly and not present in GM means.
Blazooes = plays lead guitar at wrong pitch bend
Keeptryn = plays lead guitar at wrong pitch bend
Withagun = plays lead guitar at wrong pitch bend
Fifties = plays lead sax at wrong pitch bend (only shows a little)
Hueydewy = seems like it plays fine. I would think the lead synth would bend wrong but both in game and the MIDI's seem fine..

Basically, what it is is that the MT-32 standard bend range is +2, and General MIDI's is +12. So given that the soundtrack is a GM soundtrack, some of the instruments that bend are going to sound wrong on the MT-32. I don't think there's a way of fixing that for the MT-32, short of changing the pitch bend data in the MIDI's themselves and replacing the resources.

Maybe I'm wrong? 😀

Reply 227 of 332, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote:

Basically, what it is is that the MT-32 standard bend range is +2, and General MIDI's is +12. So given that the soundtrack is a GM soundtrack, some of the instruments that bend are going to sound wrong on the MT-32. I don't think there's a way of fixing that for the MT-32, short of changing the pitch bend data in the MIDI's themselves and replacing the resources.

Maybe I'm wrong? 😀

Thanks for checking that up. Any suggestions how to change the pitch bend range in Cakewalk?

Reply 228 of 332, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe I'm wrong?

Very much so. Default pitch bend range on MT-32 is 12, on General MIDI is 2. Sierra sets to 12 on General MIDI using RPN in 4.PAT, so that both are the same.

I only checked "Keep Trying" in TIM2, and it sounds wrong both in MT-32 and General MIDI configurations. Therefore it has nothing to do with General MIDI versus MT-32. (It does sound correct on AdLib.) Since it affects only some songs, the correct way is indeed to change the pitch bend events (divide by 6) in the .SND files themselves, but ONLY in General MIDI/MT-32 tracks, as AdLib tracks are correct, and rebuild TIM2.SX.

Reply 231 of 332, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, NRS. Do some MT-32 games use +2 as bend range? I seem to remember when converting most Sierra MIDI's to GM from MT-32, it required using a Data MSB value of +2 instead of +12.

Reply 232 of 332, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wanted to post that the pitch bend range 12 actually make *some* songs sound better. I tried with the GM set of the game, and the songs I mentioned earlier sound bad too in the GM set with that pitch bend. So if it would be possible to selectively change the pitch bend for each song, it would be wonderful ^^

Reply 233 of 332, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course setting bend range to 12 makes most songs sound better, because that's what 4.PAT sets it to. It's only those four songs where the song data itself is wrong.

I was trying to fix this by building upon tikalat's TIM2.SX to keep his fix of music playing on channels other than 2-10. Unfortunately his rebuilt TIM2.SX seems to be corrupt, as my utility - which works perfectly with the original TIM2.SX - has trouble extracting it. I will need to either reapply the channel fix myself on the original file, or figure out what's wrong with tikalat's TIM2.SX. Apparently there's some garbage data between the last DAT: and the TAG: chunk.

Spikey wrote:

Do some MT-32 games use +2 as bend range?

LSL5 does. For other games, it seems to apply only for some instruments.

Reply 234 of 332, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No doubt I did something wrong. Tag chunk probably inserted incorrectly or something else brilliantly stupid. Rookie blues~.

Extracted files with index #s (no tag names)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/etuupy

Reply 235 of 332, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One quick question: did you change the MIDI channels by hand using a hex editor, or did you convert to standard MIDI format, then change the channels using a MIDI sequencer, then convert back to .SND?

Reply 237 of 332, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this, then. Put TIM2.SX in the game's directory.

Attachments

• Filename
    TIM2SX.7z
    File size
    109.45 KiB
    Downloads
    168 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2013-09-16, 16:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 238 of 332, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks NRS for the fix, now those tracks that sounded awful are listenable for the first time 🤣
I'll fix my set of it and post it on my site (when it comes back up) with the approrpiate credits =)