VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KJason

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I swapped the flakey SB16 in my super-486 rig for an AWE64. The AWE's OPL-compatible chip does the job fine in 99% of the stuff I throw at it, but I can't get some games/programs like Overkill, Edlib, FM-Kingtracker, Zone66, or the famous Amnesia demo to use it. (Zone66 & Amnesia had an unusual music algorithm which played FM and sampled instruments together in a single module. Zone66 will play sound effects only. Amnesia plays all the PCM parts of the music but does not play the FM instruments.)

I did load the bare minimum AWE64 drivers including AWEUTIL.com which is generally needed for FM. The AWE is configured at A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 E620 - exactly the same as the SB16 was. (This system also has a GUS on A260 I5 D3.)

Other programs like Skyroads, ST3 in FM instrument mode, and even some old assembly-coded BBS intros and things work beautifully.

Any suggestions on how I can make this card 100% compatible? I don't want to go back to the SB16 because of the greatly improved noise levels on the AWE64.