VOGONS

Common searches

Moo & Ems

Topic actions

First post, by Spook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know its probably been asked so many time before but hey im new here 😁. Basically Im having trouble getting MOO to work on winxp. I am having trouble getting expanded memory to work even when I alter the config.sys file i still get an ems error when i try to run MOO 🙁

So can anybody help me out?

Reply 1 of 8, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never heard of moo, I assume it's a game. I don't think XP uses config.sys since it is based on NT and not DOS like Win98. You have to right click on the game executable and click properties to change the memory and other settings. You may also have to use VDMsound to get any audio and joystick support. Many old DOS games simply won't run in an NT based OS.

Hope that helps

Reply 3 of 8, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, now I know which game you are talking about 😀

I just installed it on XP, and you do need to use VDMsound. Other than that it works perfectly once it loads, but for several minutes all I got was a black screen. The scroll lock light should be blinking, be sure to give it enough time to load. Once it finally started up it had full sound and mouse support and seemed to work fine for me.

There is a utility called Abandon Loader which works with VDMsound and makes old games easier to set up. It shows them in a list with a screen shot of each game, sort of like MAME. If you want to try it you can find it here:

http://abandonloader.gamport.net/

DosFreak, here is the official site for MOO3:

http://moo3.quicksilver.com/

Reply 4 of 8, by Spook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi thats helped a lot I can now get Dos running w/o it exiting to windows so thats a start. Problem is it just stays on the black screen w/o loading fully (left it for over an hour and a half whilst watching star trek!!) So what I need to know now is what settings you used to get MOO to work. Muchas Gracias. I disabled sound untill I could get it to work so its not that... Any ideas oh I set ems to 2048 is that ok??

Reply 5 of 8, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I didn't change any settings at all. Even without using VDMSound the game works in XP by just launching it. The black screen takes about 20 seconds and then the game starts up.

Of course I most likely have different hardware so there may be something about your PC it doesn't like. Here is what I am using:

ASUS CUSL2-C
Pentium III 850
256MB PC150 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 32MB DDR
SoundBlaster Live! CT4620
Windows XP Home Edition

I also tried it with Windows ME and it worked exactly the same as above, except I did not need to use VMDsound to get audio. I did not change the memory settings or anything else, just installed it and launched ORION.EXE

I was looking through my game documents and I noticed that I have version 1.3, so if you have an older version you might try looking for the update.

Good luck

Last edited by Banquo on 2002-09-16, 23:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spook wrote:

Looks like im out of ideas

Have you tried running it on DosBox v0.55?

http://dosbox.zophar.net/

Note: If you have the CD version, try dragging the "GAME" directory to the hard drive, then remove the read-only attribute on the files inside. When I installed using the CD "install" program, I had problems.

Oh, and read the DosBox documentation. It's not hard, but it's not intuitive either.