VOGONS

Common searches

sound problem

Topic actions

First post, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am currently playing Theme Hospital ...and my game run without sound.

i am using a ess1988 allegro sound card on my laptop(its build in .. not that i want) .... and i downloaded the latest driver but there seems to be no dos support. i checked with tech sound at ess and they confirm with me that there is no dos support for that card. 🙁

when i run the setsound.bat file for theme hospital, i cannot find my sound card in the list of available soundcards for that game, and i also tried choosing almost all possible sound cards to no avail.

therefore i am wondering is there any drivers/programs/application that can emulator a SB16 ? or is there anyway i can get the sound card to be recognised by those dos programs.

Extra Info:
- Sound Card : ESS1988 Allegro

'A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking'

Reply 7 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, I can't help you. You're either going to have to buy it from eBay or another source or go with your crappy non-working DOS version. Although, now that I think about it, you may try installing the Theme Hospital patch, which includes a Windows exe.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 14, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well ... still gotta thank you for all ur help.

lastly ... do u happened to know where can i find the patch ? .. if not then its ok ... thanx anyway

Reply 9 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akira07 wrote:

i am using a ess1988 allegro sound card on my laptop... and i downloaded the latest driver but there seems to be no dos support. i checked with tech sound at ess and they confirm with me that there is no dos support for that card.

I find that a little hard to believe. More likely is that they simply didn't want to get involved in a support issue for DOS/WinME. I found a set of drivers that say it has DOS support for ESS1988 but I need to go download and check them, 1st (_very_ slow site). Will get back with you.

Reply 11 of 14, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i search google and i found some site on it ...

but i am still wondering how to get the dos driver of essaudio.com to work ... its seems to be a dos driver for ess card but i am not too sure whether it will work for mine ...

Reply 12 of 14, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Search Google, for God's sake! Needing some help is one thing, but asking someone else to do all the legwork is annoying!

i am sorry if this bothered you ... i am just asking if u got any idea where can i find it. if u tell me u dun, i will do the search. i am definitely not asking u to do the search for me ...

so sorry for the miscommunication. but thanx for the help anyway.

Reply 13 of 14, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I find that a little hard to believe. More likely is that they simply didn't want to get involved in a support issue for DOS/WinME. I found a set of drivers that say it has DOS support for ESS1988 but I need to go download and check them, 1st (_very_ slow site). Will get back with you.

thanx for the help ... i appreciate it very much but u can simply just give me the link and i try out the rest myself. i myself found so site which offers essaudio.com but as i mentioned above i not too sure if it is compatiable with my sound card.

Reply 14 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akira07 wrote:

just give me the link and i try out the rest myself.

http://www.crete.com.tw/support_main.htm and searched for ESS1988.

NOTE: this is a 15 Megabyte download. I've got the the DOS-only drivers here (with slight corrections to the instructions).

BTW, have you already patched your ME for DOS access? If you haven't, you'll probably need to...

Check http://members.aol.com/axcel216/ under "WinME tricks", look for "EDIT BOOT FILES". You'll find a lot of useful info and links to the 3 un-official patches for restoring DOS access.

Attachments

• Filename
    dos-es1988.zip
    File size
    26.02 KiB
    Downloads
    503 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception