VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rjsummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone help? I recently resurected my 386, and pulled out my Wing Commander 1 game. I have the 1.44 version, 3 disks. All 3 disks have multiple bad sectors. (I ran Norton Disk Doctor on each disk) NDD tried to recover the sectors and moved retrievable data to empty good sectors.
So.... Im able to install the game now. Install crashes during Wingmen.vga art file unpacking, (ASCII looking characters appear) but I restart and the game works. If I click on any of my wingmen to talk to them, game crashes. (obviously due to the file being damaged) There is also no sound or music. (music.mid was also damaged)
To finish this up, I would like the game to work properly again. About 12 files are damaged, so if somone could send me a copy of those files off of their good disks, or a disk image of each, That would solve my problem. Not sure but I'm thinking it would have to be the 3 disk, 1.44 version. The 720k, 6 disk set and the CD version/ GOG version wont work I dont think. I can provide proof of ownership of the game by sending pics of my game if that is a concern. Anyone have the same floppy version as me?

Reply 1 of 9, by dougrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this isn't what you're asking for (for multiple reasons), but I'd go buy it at http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wing_commander_1_2. You get both games and all 4 expansions.

Reply 2 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dougrm wrote:

I know this isn't what you're asking for (for multiple reasons), but I'd go buy it at http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wing_commander_1_2. You get both games and all 4 expansions.

I also recommend this!

Then just steal the INSTALL.EXE from your version, because the GOG.com version is missing this 😀

This allows you to change the sound options.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rjsummer,

as you have taken the old school, real hardware way, do not bother with GoG, mixing wine and water... I might be able to help you restore the install disks. (If this fails but most of the data can be rescued from the install disks, save the stickers and get some 1.44 floppies of the same color.)
Private message sent.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 4 of 9, by rjsummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the offer to help Jolaes76, PM sent. As for the other replies, I have a friend with the GOG version but the files, although the same names mostly, as my floppys, the file sizes are different. I dont know what they did to the files to make the game run in a DOS box, but it wont work on my vintage 386. Besides, all in all, i'd like to keep my vintage game disks running. It's my experience that if you take a bad sectored floppy and format it, I come back clean. Then I can rewrite from a good image file and the floppy is good as new. Thats my experience with a set of floppys I have with Win3.11. This of course doesnt apply to physical damage, just old age it seems.

Reply 5 of 9, by rjsummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to Jolaes76, with his help, my origin floppys are restored, and the game is working perfectly again!! Thanks, couldn't have done it without you.

Reply 7 of 9, by rjsummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya, what I'm doing now for ALL my floppys is to read the good disks with Winimage, and back all the images up to a CD disc for future disk repair/restorations.

Reply 8 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rjsummer wrote:

Ya, what I'm doing now for ALL my floppys is to read the good disks with Winimage, and back all the images up to a CD disc for future disk repair/restorations.

I went through a similar exercise a couple years ago. Fortunately, even most of my 25+ year old 5.25" floppies still worked fine!

Reply 9 of 9, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently just went through the same process of backing up all my 3½ floppies (about 800+) to IMZ files. No, I didn't do it all in one session but it was a project that's been a decade waiting to complete.

I have so much stuff from the BBS era that probably can't be found anymore so I wanted to preserve it.

Categorizing it all? Heh, that's a separate project but at least it's all backed up.

Oddly the diskettes that gave me problems backing up were originals that weren't copy protected. I guess cheap floppy media was used by most commercial software companies for mastering since copies of originals I had backed up fine.

FYI the Wing Commander 1 that I have is the 5¼, 3 disk version. I don't have the disks anymore or a 5¼ drive for that matter but when I did I copied all the contents of the disks to a directory and that's how I run it in DOSBOX.