VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Peter Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Folks!

Nice to play it again. And it runs perfect, with sound- and joystic support, and also eneugh speed. Just try it on virtual pc. Take a look at this priv.jpg

What u need?

1. Virtual PC vers. 5.xx (don´t have it? Share it! 😉 )
2. MS-DOS 6.22 install disks ( "" )
3. Some practice with DOS and it´s config.sys and autoexec.bat variables. Otherwice you´ll get lost!

download.php?id=666

Attachments

• Filename
    Priv.jpg
    File size
    122.01 KiB
    Downloads
    1397 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just my opinion. Although the method you describe seems good enough, it may be slightly complicated for many people here. Besides, Virtual PC is not accessible for everyone as you have to pay for it. I have great faith in that Privateer would be playable in a near future using VDMSound and/or DOSBox if it isn't playable right now. I take this opportunity to thank the creator(s) of VDMSound and DOSBox for their efforts thus far, and the people on forums who make playing old games a reality.

Reply 2 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Emulating everything VirtualPC does in order to play a game like that is silly.

By the way, I see you use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Bad choice. Ditto MSWord. Look Ma, It's Free! 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 9, by Peter Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ach du Scheisse! Was ein Kackenhauer!

I don´t care what you think about virtual-pc or even the explorer! I just mentioned that many people would like to play "PRIVATEER" once againand i was only trying to tell them a way how to do this.

So what´s wrong with that?

By the way: Open Office and other project´s are a really fantastic work. But you guys should stay smart even when s.o. is still usin´ ms- stuff!

pp

(I forgot s.th.: Mozilla is installed on my PC too. What should i say? I don´t like it! But i love multi-os-machines and I76)

Attachments

• I76.jpg
    Filename
    I76.jpg
    File size
    44.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 9, by iceman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm i tried Virtual PC 2004 (a.k.a 5.3) & MS DOS 6.22 and i'm getting about 2 fps on my 2.8Ghz P4 (win XP). Still nice too see it working again with music, sound & speech (only occasional glitches). Thanks for tip. I'm just wondering how did you get the enough speed or two frames per second is enough ? What kind of machine do you use Peter Pan ? 😉

Reply 6 of 9, by Peter Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Sorry but that sound´s a little strange when i think of your system. My is an Athlon XP 2.7 running @ multiple OS (The shot was made in XP Home Edition).

So my system is not faster or much slower than yours. How many RAM´s are installed to your PC? I have 1 gig; and i use a simple gforce ti-4200 gr.

So far it runs pretty fast in XP on my System.

A better way to get Privateer work is usin myjemm on a Win98SE System. You don´t have to run any emulator or s.th. like that.

The only slowdowns i could recognice appears while usin wrong parameters for that sound- and music setting in privateer. Be sure to run that install.exe in your privateer folder before running the game.

pp

(sorry for my english once again)

Reply 7 of 9, by iceman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed an older version of Virtual PC - Virtual PC 5.2 - looks a little bit faster, now i'm getting 3-4 FPS in space 😀). I tried floppy version / cd version - with or without datadisc, they do not differ in speed. I tried it with no music/sound - again no speed difference. My computer: P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Win XP Pro. Which version of Virtual PC do you use ?

Reply 8 of 9, by Peter Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again!

I use 5.2 too!

Sorry but i really have no idea on that. Your system hardware is more than eneugh to play privateer. I almost got 50 fps with sound, speech and even some tasks running in the background.

But wait! There´s an option in the virtual pc settings menue where you can fix more cpu power to the guest pc. Did you adjust that???

If you did and its even slow the only thing i could imagine is that some other background apps slows down your system or even virtual pc.

So when you don´t find a solution the only way is to add Win98 to your existing XP installation and use myjemm.

pp

Reply 9 of 9, by iceman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I tried the settings in Virtual PC - no change and i have no background tasks using my CPU power - CPU usage before running Virtual PC is 0%, during 100%. Now i'm searching internet for DOS version of Checkit (i remember using it on my old 486 ten years ago 😀) - i'm going to benchmark my virtual PC performance.

P.S. 50 fps - how do you measure it ? Because when i view Virtual PC statistics (PC->Properties->Statistics) i'm seeing video frame rate around 58 frames/s - this stat is definitely broken.