VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well i decided to switch over to SCSI for my Pentium based DOS rig but ive encounted a few issues, one being a lack of conventional mem. I'm my old setup useing an IDE hard drive and CD drive I had 617kb of conventional mem but after swapping to SCSI using an adaptec 2940 and SCSI hard drive and CD drive and doing a fresh install I cant seem to get more then 575kb. the biggest culprit seems to be SMARTDRV eating 30kb. when I had my IDE drives installed I was able to load it into upper memory but I cant seem to now.

mem on my old setup
1004943h.jpg

mem on my new SCSI setup
1004944wn.jpg

heres some pics of the BAT and SYS files.

1004948u.jpg

1004946a.jpg

If i try to load the ASPICD file as DEVICEHIGH the system fails to detect the cd drive on boot.

Reply 1 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to re-run your memory management program.

#1, your scsi driver isnt loaded high
#2, when you change drivers you need to re-run memory management tools.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 15, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

You need to re-run your memory management program.

#1, your scsi driver isnt loaded high
#2, when you change drivers you need to re-run memory management tools.

If you mean ASPICD it won't let me. every time i set devicehigh for it when I reboot the drive is no longer detected.

if you mean memmaker, i have. it actually lowers my conventional memory by 10kb when I run it

Reply 4 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would remove all the device high and lh commands. and start from scratch.

Also I don't like memmaker, do you have access to better memory managers? I would look for QEMM 8 it it was up to me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joey_sw wrote:

and theres probably wrong value for /L parameters, as your smartdrv isnt loaded high despite using the 'LH'

/L Prevents SMARTDrive from loading itself into upper memory.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 15, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm not really looking to use any third party programs or memory managers as i've read they can sometimes cause incompatabilities. I really just want to get the most I can with stock stuff.

can I simply remove the /L then and it should load it to upper mem?

Reply 9 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't matter in which line DOS=HIGH,UMB is present.
Whats more strange is:
- just 100 kB UMBs, usually there should be around 192 kB, even if you subtract a 64 kB large SCSI BIOS it would still be 128 kB.
- ctmouse didn't even loaded
- aspicd.sys fails when loaded high, shouldn't be the case.

I would remove all memmaker stuff and skip memmaker optimization. With such few drivers, for moving load order not many options remain. I would remove setver if not needed, freeing up an additional UMB block and cleanup the AWE initialisation.
ALso check if LASTDRIVE=H is correct and if STACKS are required. Some COMSPEC statement with set environment memory would also be fine. Setting a manual smaller smartdrive cache value instead of using auto may also free up a bit bytes.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 15, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well i'm not really a wizard when it comes to editing these things so as far as doing it over thats probibly slightly above my head.

i did try this though. i changed the smartdrive line to

LH c:\dos\smartdrv.exe 2048 1024 /X

this seemed to work as I get 592kb of conventional mem now BUT i'm having issues that may or may not relate to the change

cd drive seems to have trouble reading any cd-r's though this may have to do with the drive itself but i need to do more testing.

Reply 12 of 15, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the first number is used to specify the amount of memory that is going to use for DOS and the second for WINDOWS. By googling the /X parameter it says that "Disables write-behind caching for all drives."

Reply 13 of 15, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

592K free base memory with mouse/CD drivers is damned good for DOS.

You're not gonna get 617k base free with ANY CD rom, IDE or SCSI.

Your first screenshot doesn't even have IDE CD ROM drivers (OAKCDROM.SYS or similar and MSCDEX.EXE) that's why there is 617k available.

I think the best I ever got was about 601k using QEMM on a 386 with MS-DOS 6 (mouse and IDE CD drivers, Pro Audio Spectrum).

It's a lot worse if you load network drivers!

Reply 14 of 15, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote:
592K free base memory with mouse/CD drivers is damned good for DOS. […]
Show full quote

592K free base memory with mouse/CD drivers is damned good for DOS.

You're not gonna get 617k base free with ANY CD rom, IDE or SCSI.

Your first screenshot doesn't even have IDE CD ROM drivers (OAKCDROM.SYS or similar and MSCDEX.EXE) that's why there is 617k available.

I think the best I ever got was about 601k using QEMM on a 386 with MS-DOS 6 (mouse and IDE CD drivers, Pro Audio Spectrum).

It's a lot worse if you load network drivers!

I know that picture does not have cd drivers in that listing...and honestly i have no idea why but my IDE cd drive at that time was indeed working and i had 617kb of free conventional ram. thats with a mouse/ide cd and pretty much everything except a netwoprk card. thats also without using any third party memory managers just memmaker and a few tweeks as far as my limited abilities could do. acually thats even using that TRmouse mouse driver that ate was more mem then the 3kb cutemouse.

I've never used the oakridge cd drivers. found this driver package on the net and just saved it to a floppy. its an exe that auto installs the drivers LG drivers maybe? anyways theve worked flawlessly with every IDE drive i've ever used and have never eaten much if any conventional mem. untill this setup i've always gotten over 600kb with very minmal effort and no third party utilities.

Reply 15 of 15, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

592k is still good for SCSI - you'll note that there are 2 drivers needed in CONFIG.SYS for your CD drive - ASPI8DOS (ASPI DOS layer) and ASPICD (the actual CD drivers).

It's weird for you to have had an IDE CD ROM working with no driver in CONFIG.SYS. I've had plenty of IDE CD drives in the DOS days and they always required a device driver to work along with MSCDEX.EXE.

I just named OAKCDROM.SYS as an example to illustrate that IDE CD ROMs require some kind of driver - yours will probably be different but the fact remains no IDE CD ROM access will occur in DOS without a device driver and MSCDEX.EXE.