VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't install my newly acquired copy of SS1. The hardware is a P166 MMX machine running DOS 7 (Windows 95 booted in DOS mode).

All 9 disks seem OK - I've managed to take copies of them without incident, and the installer grinds through each disk OK. The installer does some uncompressing of files along the way, and then after seemingly copying all of the 9th disk, it launches into some more serious uncompressing. The % complete status reaches 80% or so and then it throws an error:

"Couldn't load filetype res" or something like that.

Has anyone seen this before? I've tried using the offered boot disk, and I've tried booting to DOS 6.22.

Reply 2 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah like I say, the disk can all be read 100%, it's the uncompressing that fails and thats done after all the files have been copied to the HDD.

EDIT: right found the problem, I scandisk'd them all and the last one has several existing bad sectors, i.e someone has previously tried to repair the disk and obviously failed. I thought getting 9 healthy 3.5" disks from eBay was too good to be true, and it was 🙁

Wouldn't anyone here be kind enough to send me an image of the 9th disk? It's a complete big box set in excellent condition, so I'd love to save it.

Reply 4 of 12, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't this constitute as pirating? Should we ban those who provided him with the files? and possible the poster?

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 5 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:

Doesn't this constitute as pirating? Should we ban those who provided him with the files? and possible the poster?

Are you trolling or for real?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

No, because he owns a legally obtained copy of the game which gives me him the legal right to play it. If he downloaded it from a warez site or from a torrent and got a corrupted file and someone gave it to him, then that would be piracy.

Reply 7 of 12, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy **** dosquest, you did not actually MEAN what you wrote did you...
Put yourself in his shoes - would you buy another set of disks in questionable condition or just ask for the files you are missing... HE WAS NOT ASKING FOR COMPLETE SET OF IMAGES.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 8 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are going to help someone out like this, its necessary to give him all your images of the game if the filedates on his disks do not match yours. Like most games from this period, System Shock can only be run from a hard drive and has compressed install files on its floppies, so any differences between the files and the install will fail. My conscience is clear.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 9 of 12, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did not think it was such a complex case... But again, no one can be expected to pay several times and still NOT getting the software work. That is just plain unfair. I also bought a few sets of floppies of DOS adventure games - half of them already had to be copied over to new disks and I could only keep the stickers. It does not hurt to make regular backups if one can afford it. It is more the question of time than money...
Bottom line, I would have given him the files as well if I had had them. After all, certain members do not need to be asked to "present a photo of your original disks with these six random items laid across in 5 minutes and you are believed in"...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 10 of 12, by barbucha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, same problem for me. Original 3,5 disk box from eBay, with manual and whole paperwork in pristine cond, bud disk 2 has gone. Of course i have cd copy and that awesome portable project to play on modern pc in high res, but somewhat i want to show my son how it was in my times. So i`ve built 486 with Intel overdrive on 80MHz and now my disk2 is fried. If someone have raws of this, it will be really appreciated. [iam using nice tool named HD Copy to make isos of floppy for archiving purposes, but any image helps]

Reply 12 of 12, by barbucha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It doesnt fit that slim desktop case of my rig. Its Siemens Nixdorf SCENIC 4L sx/25 (with Intel overdrive DX80), in pristine cond. Very quiet machine. It has only one 3 1/2 external bay. CD Drive is no problem (to place it externaly), i just want to refresh that floppy nr2 with iso to make them all usable.