VOGONS

Common searches

Dos games and 16mb of ram

Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a short one. I heard that some games, applications may not like more than 16mb of ram, is this true?

Reply 2 of 52, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not me either.

I first ever heard about this "problem" from Mau1wulf1977's MS-DOS Timemachine video. Haven't seen it be discussed here on Vogons since I became an active poster a year ago.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 52, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Realms of Arkania 2 doesn't like more than 16MB installed, if you have more you just waste megabytes with a ramdisk so you have less than 15MB free of ems/xms

this happens on my 128MB p1 build btw

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 52, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Certain BIOSes had an option for a "memory hole" at 15-16 MB, but I understand that was because certain obscure ISA cards specifically made use of that range and was not generally related to software.

Reply 6 of 52, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think Crusader: No Remorse/Regret (whichever came first - I can never remember) and Ultima 8 have some kind of memory limitation. Could be more than 16MB though (64?)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Not me either.

I first ever heard about this "problem" from Mau1wulf1977's MS-DOS Timemachine video. Haven't seen it be discussed here on Vogons since I became an active poster a year ago.

Yea that was Privateer. But you can easily fix it through software.

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe ram 16000

for example resolves the issue on machines with more than 16MB.

The issue is garbled / screeching speech.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 52, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using the "XMS/EMS RAMdisk v1.9i 16-bit DOS TSR" found on excellent MDGx's DOS Power Toys page , just run it before a problematic game and assign ram to the ramdisk, play and unload it again from the command line... no need to modify your boot files this way 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 52, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Yea that was Privateer. But you can easily fix it through software. […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Not me either.

Yea that was Privateer. But you can easily fix it through software.

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe ram 16000

for example resolves the issue on machines with more than 16MB.

The issue is garbled / screeching speech.

Ah, so that's why that happened. Cool, looks like I'll still be able to use my Gravis Analog Pro joystick to play that game 😀.

Reply 12 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at it from another perspective: Do any games MS-DOS "need" more than 16MB RAM. Or run significantly better with it?

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 52, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Looking at it from another perspective: Do any games MS-DOS "need" more than 16MB RAM. Or run significantly better with it?

That it a very good point. For gaming / application purposes, do you really need more than 16mb of ram? Of course pushing a 486 to its max is fun, but will it really improve perfomance when it comes to these?

Reply 14 of 52, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Realms of Arkania 2 doesn't like more than 16MB installed, if you have more you just waste megabytes with a ramdisk so you have less than 15MB free of ems/xms

this happens on my 128MB p1 build btw

Agreed ...Realm of Arkania: Star Trail does not work if you have too much RAM. You'll have to create a ram drive.

Reply 15 of 52, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Some do. Some of the very last ones like Bethesda's Battlespire and Redguard I would presume.
The DOS version of Fallout also requires 32MB RAM. At least that's what it says in the readme, probably a typo. I'm sure that 32MB really helps though.
Abe's Oddyseey also suggests 32MB.

Generally, very late DOS stuff. I was going to say Pyl as well, but I think that only comes with a Windows installer? It was kinda meant to be run under Windows, despite it being a DOS program.

Also, it makes sense to have more RAM when you're using a fast machine. I have 256MB on my K6-3+ system (overkill, I know) and I thought Privateer was behaving like that due to the CPU speed.
Wing Commander 3 also crashed a lot on my machine, could it also be because of the excessive amount of RAM?

Reply 16 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

dune 2 has no sound with more than 16mb

I've played it with sound on 256mb iirc, I haven't actually been stuck on 16mb since 1995 and i've still had Dune2 with sound

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Also, it makes sense to have more RAM when you're using a fast machine. I have 256MB on my K6-3+ system (overkill, I know) and I thought Privateer was behaving like that due to the CPU speed.
Wing Commander 3 also crashed a lot on my machine, could it also be because of the excessive amount of RAM?

Yea good point. It seems the "ramdrive trick" is a quite convenient workaround. I noticed that my machine benchmarks a little slower with the 16MB module. It's likely a slow type.

I haven't played with the GOG.com version of Wing Commander 3 yet, so can't comment on this yet.

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

HimemX might be a slightly more elegant workaround than a ramdisk.

Could you tell us more about this please?

My YouTube channel