VOGONS

Common searches

Duke Nukem II wont run

Topic actions

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished putting together a 486 pc. All the games I have tried run ok but I cant get Duke II to start the screen just goes blank and I have to push the reset button to use the pc again. Its the Duke II release from the Duke 3D CD-ROM.

PC specs:

Am486 DX4-120
ASUS PVI-486SP3
32MB
Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 1MB PCI
Sound Blaster Pro 2.0
MS-DOS 6.22

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
SET PATH=C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET DIRCMD=/O
SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM1
LH C:\DOS\KEYB UK,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
LH C:\DOS\DOSKEY.COM
C:\CTMOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE
C:\SBPRO\SBP-SET /M:12 /VOC:12 /CD:12 /FM:12

Config.sys

SWITCHES /F
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM AUTO
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\QCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM1
COUNTRY=044,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
STACKS=9,256
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0

Thanks

Reply 1 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have some things in your config which I'm not familiar with (keyboard.sys, country.sys), have you tried booting with a boot disk (i.e. no config) and running it?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

You have some things in your config which I'm not familiar with (keyboard.sys, country.sys), have you tried booting with a boot disk (i.e. no config) and running it?

Everyone with localized keyboards use this (I have my computers set to country code 047). Highly doubt it is causing the issues. Testing with a minimal boot could be an idea though .

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 23, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would surely delete some things in that autoexec.bat! I seem to remember mine having less than 10 lines..

For fun, you might unplug the sound card, or backup autoexec and delete references to SBPRO, and see if it's a sound card issue, that often seems to be the thing.

Question: Can you run other Apogee titles of the era, e.g. Monster Bash, Hocus Pocus (even the free demos)?

Reply 4 of 23, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good suggestions but running minimum start-up files didn't fix it.

I tested Secret Agent, Monster Bash, Bio Menace, Alien Carnage, Crystal Caves, Hocus Pocus, Commander Keen 4, Duke Nukem 1 and Wacky Wheels and they all run ok.

One odd thing both Bio Menace and Keen 4 wont start they just hang on the press any key screen unless I move the serial mouse. Pressing a keyboard button doesn't work. If I disable the serial port in the bios or leave the mouse unplugged it doesn't happen. I have a ordered a ps2 port header from ebay so I hope that will fix that one.

Strange Duke II wont work my DX2-66 PC and DOSBox run it no problem.

Reply 10 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game has an external sound configuration utility, right? Does everything work correctly there?

Soupdragon wrote:

One odd thing both Bio Menace and Keen 4 wont start they just hang on the press any key screen unless I move the serial mouse. Pressing a keyboard button doesn't work. If I disable the serial port in the bios or leave the mouse unplugged it doesn't happen. I have a ordered a ps2 port header from ebay so I hope that will fix that one.

This sounds like it might feasibly be an IRQ conflict of some sort. Maybe if there's a parallel port you're not using, you can disable that in your BIOS and move your SBPro to IRQ7?

Reply 12 of 23, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried disabling the parallel port and changing the jumpers on the sound blaster to IRQ 7. That didn't help.

What did fix it was swapping the video card out. I first tried a PCI Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro that didn't work (maybe because it shares the same 2D core as the Stealth 64 Video 2001). I then tried a generic Cirrus Logic vl-bus card that did work.

Its odd as the 3D 2000 Pro runs duke 2 fine in my Pentium pc. Guess its just a small incompatibility with this mainboard.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 13 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested Duke Nukem II Shareware last night after reading this post in my 486.

The specs are :

intel 486DX2-66 with 16MB RAM
AOpen motherboard which shares the same chipset with the SP3,
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4MB
SBAWE32 with LAPC-I
MS-DOS 6.22

tested with the EMS setting enabled.

There's no problem playing it. My sound card is set at IRQ5, and sound works.

Not sure why your Stealth 3D 2000 Pro is not working in that system.

Maybe the CPU and FSB settings are conflicting with this game? I used to have random lockups in some DOS games when the bus speed is not a 33MHz or a multiple of it - a thing I noticed even in later Pentiums - upto Pentium III.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 23, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's both my Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 and Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro that wont run duke 2 when in the system.

I set the bus speed back from 40MHz to 33MHz. I then spent a couple of hours trying each bios chipset setting at each value still cant get it to load the game.

Annoying as one of the reasons I bought the PCI mainboard was because I was having trouble finding a good vl-bus graphics card for my old one.

Reply 15 of 23, by White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In a game settings try to switch sound card to adlib. I have same problem and two things helped me:

1. Change AWE 32 CT-3900 to AWE 64 Gold
2. Without changing AWE 32 CT-3900 i switched sound to AdLib

Reply 16 of 23, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bring up a old thread but im having the same issues. I can run the shareware version fine. But once I install the full game and run Nukem2.exe It just turns black and nothing happens. I tried everything I could think of but nothing works. If I swap the shareware .exe in , it works but is still the shareware version. My system is as follows...

Zida Tomato 4DPS Version 2.1
AMD AM5 X86 @ 133mhz
ATI Mach 64 video card
16MB ram

Reply 18 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you are using an ATI mach64 card, it might pay to see if ATI's M64VBE gives better results. M64VBE is a DOS TSR released by ATI to support the VESA BIOS Extension 2.0. A number of games needed it in order for mach64s or mach64 variants to work properly. Amtex released a patch for Royal Flush Pinball that was just a repackage of M64VBE to make it work on mach64-based cards. I also remember having to use M64VBE with a 264VT-based motherboard to get Flight Unlimited to work (only 1/4 of the screen was used for display without M64VBE).

This site seems to have a package with M64VBE, although I have no idea what the latest version is:

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/multimedia … CT/64vbe210.txt
http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/multimedia … CT/64vbe210.exe

This directory may have other releases:

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/multimedia … I/MACH64_GX_CT/

Perhaps others who still use a mach64-variant can tell you what the latest version of M64VBE is as I have not used it for many years.

Note that you may have to use a particular set of M64VBE command line switches to get a particular game to work properly, so experimentation may be necessary.