Topic actions

First post, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blackthorne (1994)
- July 4, 2013 (#2)

General MIDI driver
- Sfx remapped to full ch1-16. Keeps bgm playing without interrupts.
- Errors in sfx track fixed (due to above fix)
- Drum kits (ORCHESTRA) now work on all devices
- Send GS reset (v2)

Known problem
- After death, some sfx keep playing like 'Hover bomb'. It won't go away until someone throws another one. Original game bug.

########################################
########################################

Notes:
Engine is Miles Audio System.

ORCHESTRA drum kit used during cutscenes, world 1 bgm.

edit:
Three soundtracks - FM OPL2 (AdLib), FM Dual OPL2 (SBPro), General MIDI.
(credit: Stefan_L)

Compression is basic LZSS. Same as The Lost Vikings.

Attachments

• Filename
    Blackthorne - genmidi.7z
    File size
    134.86 KiB
    Downloads
    313 downloads
    File comment
    v2 kit - DOS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by tikalat on 2013-07-04, 16:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 65, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tnx.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 65, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tikalat could you extract the adlib and soundblaster instrument files? the "*.opl and .*ad".
I once ripped the GM XMI files using dosbox savestates as i knew the music files begin with "form" so could i find them using a hex editor 😀
Although i never bothered with the FM music as i had no idea how to get the instrument files. But you seems to know how to extract them.

Some more detalis of the drumkits used:
Title - standardkit
Intro - Orchestra
Ingame bgm 1 - Orchestra
Ingame bgm 2 - standardkit
Ingame bgm 3 - standardkit
Ingame bgm 4 - Orchestra
Last Battle - Orchestra
Ending - Orchestra

Reply 5 of 65, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stefan_L wrote:

tikalat could you extract the adlib and soundblaster instrument files? the "*.opl and .*ad".

Uhmm... er.. if you know how to program, you can edit the midi_dump source code - blizzard files. I didn't know about these files before.

Are there any hints on what the file format should look like? Dosbox maybe could help too though. Hmm. 😀

The FM sfx are in file 072.xmi (use the dumper in the source code). 076.xmi = GM sfx. There's a whole bunch of other xmi files - some have to be the FM ones.

hmm.. i checked it a bit more and it is only the intro music that has the CTF problem.

The other in-game cutscenes use the intro music ctf too?? At least I think so.

I'll look around my files later again.

edit:
Thanks for checking into the drumkits. Didn't know about the endgame having more ORCHESTRA use.

Reply 6 of 65, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No sorry i can't program 😒 And i have no idea how the format is... the files are usually called "sample.ad" and "sample.opl" they can be found in the miles design source code that was released on john's webpage (dont remember the url).
Actually it is possible Blackthore uses the same FM instrument banks taht comes with the AIL source code as examples... i havent tested.. but Blackthorne has text when you start the game that the FM instruments are designed by Fat Man... just like the AIL examples 😀

It is possible the intro music is used in more cutscenes.... i have only seen the intro one 😀

I checked the extracted XMI files and from what i understand so does the actual music files begin with file 080.xmi (the first two was sfx as you said.
080.xmi = title = Adlib version
084.xmi = title = SBpro version (dual OPL2 more precise)
088.xmi = title = General MIDI version
092.xmi = intro = Adlib verison
096.xmi = intro = SBpro version
100.xmi = intro = General MIDI version
104.xmi = ingame bgm 2 = Adlib version
etc....

There is no MT-32 option in the sound setup even if the game box claim MT-32 support.

Reply 7 of 65, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tikalat your midi_dumper did not extract the "last battle" and "ending" music files?

I have attached the GM files i once extracted using the save state way 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    blackthorne_gm_xmi.zip
    File size
    53.27 KiB
    Downloads
    221 downloads
    File comment
    Blackthorne General MIDI music files
    File license

Reply 8 of 65, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice work!

Try new dumper tool. To recap files:

text = 8
text = 12
text = 16

driver = 20-64
FM timbre = 68

FM sfx = 72
GM sfx = 76

gm title = 88
gm intro = 100
gm ingame2 = 112
gm ingame4 = 124
gm ingame1 = 136
gm ingame3 = 148
gm last = 1244
gm ending = 1256

voc = 152-256

Should be it - no new surprises.

Thanks for mentioning Adlib OPL2 vs Dual OPL2. That should be fun to listen. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    midi_dump.7z
    File size
    44.93 KiB
    Downloads
    261 downloads
    File license
Last edited by tikalat on 2013-08-19, 00:47. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 12 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just tested, it sounds a little better with more depth ... is there a way to fix the intro music? it just does not play in the cinematic when you start a new game

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 65, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is there a way to fix the intro music? it just does not play in the cinematic when you start a new game

Did it start with the v2 patch?

If yes, then I can rewrite every track to send GS reset before playing (~7 total = doable).
If no, then..........??

v2 works okay here. Or letting the first demo play also.

Reply 14 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps I did not explain well... once you select on the menu to start a new game and the cinematic begins everything is quiet.
I also tried with the CM-32L (ofcourse sounded wrong but I could see the midi message led) , in the cinematic I describe above it stays quiet without any activity...
I kinda remember a thread here about this part having music only with a SC-55 mk1 ...?!?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 65, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi tikalat.

Again thankyou for all your hard work on these various sound fixes you have been doing!

I tried to use the patch for Blackthorne but in the instructions it says under step 2 "Apply DATA.ips patch to DATA.DAT" however I am a complete noob in this respect and am not sure what I need to do to apply the patch.

On a side note I was wondering if you had any input on the MT-32 music issue discussed here Star Trek Judgement Rites CD version with MT-32 for the Interplay game Star Trek Judgment Rites. The last post by robertmo says the issue with MT-32 not working properly for the CD release is to do with them using Human Machine Interfaces sound drivers. Is this fixable?

I understand that I could use the floppy version which works flawlessly with MT-32 but it has no speech and though you can use General Midi I think the music was written for MT-32 and just transferred to GM (though this is admittedly an assumption based on the year that the floppy version was released).

Reply 17 of 65, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Colud not one solution be taht you first load the disk version and let teh game uplaod the sysex and then quit and start the cdrom version without turning of the MT-32 as the instrument data should still be in the MT-32 memory then? Or log an SMF with dosbox from the disk verison sysex and play the SMF before you start the cdrom version.

ST:Judgement Rites use the same music files for the MT-32 and General MIDI version and i suspect the sysex in the beginning is to upload instruments to MT-32 that is similar to the GM standard.
Even if GM is choosen so is the arrangement not using more MIDI channels than MT-32 can handle.

Reply 18 of 65, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IPS patcher
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&cat … =&utilsearch=Go
(IPS XP is user-friendly)

Didn't know about older MT-32 thread. HMI isn't hacking friendly from prior experience. Will check when I get a chance.

MT-32 and General MIDI version and i suspect the sysex in the beginning is to upload instruments to MT-32 that is similar to the GM standard.

That'd be interesting to check. Sierra / Dynamix does this.

Reply 19 of 65, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stefan_L wrote:

ST:Judgement Rites use the same music files for the MT-32 and General MIDI version....

I take that back... as there are seperate files for GM and MT-32 music 😀 The GM arrangements is not using more MIDI cahnels the MT-32 can handle though.