VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been tring to find an abandonware version of Assault Rigs for DOS, and each one the music doesn't work. The sound effects are still there and the music is still in the intro scene. BUT in every DOS download I found, there is no music. I don't understand why really. I don't think EVERY person who uploaded an IMG+CCD file got rid of the music.
I have tried the files in DOSBOX ANd VirtualPC.
Here's some fotage of the glitch recorded on VirtualPC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oehQ7lLzV0s&

I go though the entire installation in the video.
Also: please excuse the typos in the video, my keyboard isn't the best and I had already rendered the video.

If it is an issue with the IMG, can someone tell me where to find a good IMG of assault rigs?

If it isn't an IMG issue how do I fix it?

If you can't tell, just tell me what I need to do so you can find out the issue.

Last edited by personne on 2013-07-01, 05:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
5u3 wrote:

It is not possible to store CD-audio tracks in ISO file format.

Do you mean that iso file cannot have the music encoded in them? Correct me if I'm wrong: but aren't IMG's the data of CD? If the music was encoded in the CD of the game, why wouldn't the IMG have the music still in it? The sound effects are there, and the sound effects are not in sepererate files, so they are encoded into the game's main files. Shouldn't the music be encoded in the same way? I'm not saying that there would be seperate files for each song, I'm saying that I would expect the music to be encoded in the the general files like the sound effects are.

That's why I'm confused.

Last edited by personne on 2013-06-27, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
5u3 wrote:

Well, here's a thing:
The game CD image is actually a .CCD and .IMG (which according to the webpage can hold tracks) I had used the term ISO incorrectly.

Reply 5 of 15, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
personne wrote:

I have been tring to find an abandonware version of

There begins your problem.

personne wrote:

I don't think EVERY person who uploaded an IMG+CCD file got rid of the music.

It's entirely possible that every available copy is derived from the first ISO which of course had no music.

personne wrote:

If it isn't an IMG issue how do I fix it?

Obviously, if you pay a vendor some money for a proper copy, then your problem will be solved.

Reply 7 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I used ImgBurn to open the ccd/sub/img files and in the log I found this:
Session 1... (LBA: 0 / 00:02:00)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 / 00:02:00)
-> Track 02 (Audio, 01:51:71, LBA: 56479 / 12:35:04)
-> Track 03 (Audio, 04:28:35, LBA: 64875 / 14:27:00)
-> Track 04 (Audio, 04:34:53, LBA: 85010 / 18:55:35)
-> Track 05 (Audio, 04:56:38, LBA: 105613 / 23:30:13)
-> Track 06 (Audio, 07:19:22, LBA: 127851 / 28:26:51)
-> Track 07 (Audio, 03:40:54, LBA: 160798 / 35:45:73)
-> Track 08 (Audio, 03:24:13, LBA: 177352 / 39:26:52)
-> Track 09 (Audio, 04:00:03, LBA: 192665 / 42:50:65)
-> Track 10 (Audio, 03:57:18, LBA: 210668 / 46:50:68)
-> Track 11 (Audio, 02:40:59, LBA: 228461 / 50:48:11)
-> Track 12 (Audio, 01:31:05, LBA: 240520 / 53:28:70)
-> Track 13 (Audio, 00:29:17, LBA: 247350 / 55:00:00)
-> Track 14 (Audio, 02:40:59, LBA: 249542 / 55:29:17)
-> Track 15 (Audio, 01:09:51, LBA: 261601 / 58:10:01)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 266827 / 59:19:52)

The "tracks" I guess to be the music as they perfectly match the lengths of the soundtrack songs and there's just the right amount of tracks.
So the music IS there, but why won't it play?

Reply 8 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What exactly are you using to mount the image? I'm not sure what the difference is, exactly, but I think DOSBox only supports CUE/BIN, so trying to mount a CCD/IMG image may not work. You can try using Daemon Tools to mount it within Windows, and then mount Daemon Tools' emulated drive in DOSBox.

Also, what is the size of your CCD/IMG files? If there's really that much data it should be several hundred megabytes in size.

Reply 9 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What exactly are you using to mount the image? I'm not sure what the difference is, exactly, but I think DOSBox only supports CUE/BIN, so trying to mount a CCD/IMG image may not work. You can try using Daemon Tools to mount it within Windows, and then mount Daemon Tools' emulated drive in DOSBox.

Also, what is the size of your CCD/IMG files? If there's really that much data it should be several hundred megabytes in size.

Size: 622 MB

I tried burning it to CD-R via ImgBurn a few times then I mounted it on Daemon virtual drive. Each time I tried intalling the game in microsoft virtual pc of win 95.

I just tried using D-Fend Reloaded to open the intallation in DosBox, but after I got though the installation I get a "assault rigs requires a valid CD to run" error when I run the .bat file.

Here's a video of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNmahUzuFA&\

You're probably right about it not supporting mounting ccd images, but I also tried running the installation from the D: drive and the Daemon virtual drive, I got the same result each time. So I don't think assault rigs will work with DosBox.

I don't understand why it doesn't work properly on the virtual pc though. Should I be chosing a different sound card during installation? I tried 3 different options, 2 of which had sound effects and were the same , the other was silent. So I don't think that's the issue.

Should I not be writing it to a CD-R?

PS: When I burn it via ImgBurn the verify comes up with "miscommunication" errors. I've been told this is just a false alarm. I don't work enough with ImgBurn to know. is it?

Reply 10 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fact does remain that you are using a downloaded version and that there is no guarantee the game was ripped correctly. It cannot be said that "assault rigs will not work with DosBox" until it has actually been tried with a legitimate retail CD. It is quite pointless trying to nail down the problem with anything less.

personne wrote:

I tried burning it to CD-R via ImgBurn a few times then I mounted it on Daemon virtual drive. Each time I tried intalling the game in microsoft virtual pc of win 95.

I just tried using D-Fend Reloaded to open the intallation in DosBox, but after I got though the installation I get a "assault rigs requires a valid CD to run" error when I run the .bat file.

I'm very confused. You implied in your first post that the game was working, but without music. If you are doing something else with the image and then getting a different error message, then it would seem you are doing something wrong.

Reply 11 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

The fact does remain that you are using a downloaded version and that there is no guarantee the game was ripped correctly. It cannot be said that "assault rigs will not work with DosBox" until it has actually been tried with a legitimate retail CD. It is quite pointless trying to nail down the problem with anything less.

personne wrote:

I'm very confused. You implied in your first post that the game was working, but without music. If you are doing something else with the image and then getting a different error message, then it would seem you are doing something wrong.

I did get the error a few times in Virtual PC, but it happened When I took out the disk only. Most of the time it worked fine. It wouldn't work in dosbox though even if I left the disk in. I'm not sure but I am thinking it may have to do with running the game in a win 95 environment. I am using Win 7 x64 Ultimate by the way. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong regarding dosbox.

Reply 13 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anyone is willing to sell a copy of Assault Rigs ATI 3D RAGE edition I'd be happy to buy.
(yes I know there is no API wrapper for it currently, but I know a skilled programmer who might help me)

Reply 14 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
personne wrote:

I did get the error a few times in Virtual PC, but it happened When I took out the disk only.

So you took out the disk, and you got an "assault rigs requires a valid CD to run". I do not understand why this is surprising.

Rather than D-Fend Reloaded, you may be better off with the 60 Seconds Guide.

Reply 15 of 15, by personne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
personne wrote:

I did get the error a few times in Virtual PC, but it happened When I took out the disk only.

So you took out the disk, and you got an "assault rigs requires a valid CD to run". I do not understand why this is surprising.

Rather than D-Fend Reloaded, you may be better off with the 60 Seconds Guide.

I CANNOT thank you enough!

IT WOOOOOOOOOOOORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

It may have been that the soundblaster settings were off. The tutorial you linked me to mentions some settings to change that I hadn't before.

THANK YOU!

PS: I wasn't saying the error was surprising in Virtual PC (when i DID take the disk out). It was surprising in D-Fend before because before I didn't take the disk out.