VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So since Shadow Warrior is free on Steam I decided to set up my controls before playing but ran into a few problems.

I don't understand. You can map 4 axes in the game: x, y, rudder, and throttle but can only map 3 actions to those axes; they are: analog_strafe, analog_moving, and analog_turning. Now naturally I would assign strafing to the X axis and moving to the Y axis correct? Well apparently analog_moving is actually joystick looking up/down?? How does that make any sense?

So in order to play the game, I have to map two digital buttons to the y+/y- axis to simulate forward/backward movement and then use analog strafing for the X axis. Obviously this doesn't work out too well. However, the rudder and throttle work pretty well for turning and looking on the second analog stick.

Why would they not allow analog forward/backward movement but have side to side?

Reply 1 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's an old game, control expectations weren't really standardized. I think most people probably played this game on Keyboard controls when it came out.

Reply 2 of 7, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:

It's an old game, control expectations weren't really standardized. I think most people probably played this game on Keyboard controls when it came out.

Right but it doesn't make sense that they would include side to side movement but not forward/backward movement. And then including Joystick look up/down when it's not even necessary? I'm pretty sure duke nukem 3d has both and it came out before right?

Reply 4 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You use joysticks to play Shadow Warrior? Or possibly other FPS games too?

Anyway, it is supposed to be analog_moving. Have you tried with other joysticks?

I suppose you're playing the steam version in your windows pc? Using USB joysticks?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 7, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a dualshock 3 to setup movement. It has worked fine in other games like Duke Nukem, Blood, Doom, Descent, Descent 2, etc.. Actually Descent works really well with 4 axis, although I could use an additional 2. Blood works well (also build engine) and it even allows for full 4 axis mapping. It's Steam version on Windows, although I've tried 2 different svn builds as well as a vanilla build but all show the same problem.

Reply 6 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried downloading the shareware version of Shadow Warrior and tried setting up to see if it works in Dosbox?

Have you tried copying over the [Controls] section from DN3D or Blood and overwrite that section in SW.CFG? I'm not sure this will work, but if the suggestion above works, you can try copying over the SW.CFG from the shareware version after setting it up, into your steam's version folder.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 7, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Have you tried downloading the shareware version of Shadow Warrior and tried setting up to see if it works in Dosbox?

Have you tried copying over the [Controls] section from DN3D or Blood and overwrite that section in SW.CFG? I'm not sure this will work, but if the suggestion above works, you can try copying over the SW.CFG from the shareware version after setting it up, into your steam's version folder.

Well I tried Blood and got the same problem; however, I also tried Duke3d and it worked as I expected it to. I exchanged the duke cfg to blood and it worked, but when comparing the two files, their joystick section is identical. I still don't know why the Duke cfg works and not the Blood cfg. I attached the files if anybody wants to look at them...

Attachments

• Filename
    Blood.7z
    File size
    2.57 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception