VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by akira07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pardon me and my tonnes of questions ... just wish to get things going. Dun mean to be annoying.

Can anyone answer me what DOS-MPU401 do ? ... i used to have it in Win98SE under my sound, multimedia devices in my device manager. But after i installed WinME it is not available.

Will it affect my sound output ? ... could it be the reason why i dun get sound when i playing DOS game ?

P.S. i try to installed a microsoft version as well as my ESS1988 Allegro sound card version but both dun seems to be able to get it to work.

INFO:
- O/S: WinME
- Soundcard: ESS1988 WDM

'A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking'

Reply 1 of 2, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your card emulates a Roland MPU-401 chip, which just does MIDI sounds if I'm not mistaken, and is not needed unless a particular game requires it. I don't know of any games that do though as most let you choose other options like Adlib, SB16, etc.

I think the problem is that since ME no longer loads a real mode DOS layer, certain features like Roland or SB16 emulation will not work. I remember the same thing happened with my SB Live! card; after I installed ME I no longer had the option for SB16 emulation available, so no sound in most of my DOS games.

If you want to play DOS games with sound you will probably have to either:

*Use a DOS boot floppy with drivers for your card

*Find a sound card that has legacy DOS support under ME

*Go back to Windows 98, which is actually a better OS

*Upgrade to 2000 or XP which can both use VDMsound (plus XP has SB16 emulation built right into the OS)

Reply 2 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also force WinME to load the "DOS layer", as you call it.

See this thread:
showthread.php?threadid=72

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto