VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the MS-DOS floppy version of Spectre VR there is a level where a flag is stuck inside of a positive cyberspace node, there is no way to collide with said flag.

Does anyone have any idea if there were any patches or is there any clues to how the .MAT files are formatted so I can move the flag out of the upper cyber space node to continue on?

I forgot what the level number was but if you just keep playing on Hard you will run into it *very* fast compared to the other two difficulties.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomorrow I'll put up a video of the offending level on all three difficulties. (on my hexed config file that gives me a godly machine)

EDIT: Okay it is level 33 on Easy, the tip in the level is "ALL WEAPONS ACTIVATED" and here's the flag stuck in the positive cyberspace terminal

svr_000.png
svr_001.png
svr_002.png

And a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3RP3sVbTGA

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to double post but there's also this interesting thing where they tell me in the manual how to save the game but they never tell me how to load the saved game...

And I've tried any sort of obvious key combination while the level text flies at the screen but nothing happens, only thing I can bring up is to save a game.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
DracoNihil wrote:

Does anyone have any idea if there were any patches

There is a patch available at the Patches Scrolls site, but dunno if it fixes the specific problem you have.

Reply 5 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't seem to find their file for Spectre VR, and a google search points me to some text archive in 1996 for a "spectre.zip" on some ancient FTP.

The fact that there's a CD version makes me wonder if I should just pursue that rather than try to patch the floppy version but I can imagine this level can be fixed by changing a single byte in some file just to move the flag to a different location... (Now if only I can find information on hacking the files, or the offical level editor "VRchitect " that was also mentioned in the manual...)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I managed to find it, sorry about that...

And apparently the patch file has the level editor too, so this must be the thing Velocity mailed to the customers who mailed in for it I guess.

EDIT: afkjaslfja now it's asking me for my serial and I don't have the floppies with me...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The serial number you originally entered when installing the game is stored in SPECTRVR.CFG, but unfortunately it's scattered around the file. The first two letters are at offset 0x02, the next 4 letters are at offset 0x54, and the last two letters are at offset 0x5E. This is in version 1.04; other versions may vary.