First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/death-by-dark-shadows

Anyone has a full version of this game?

I found this info on the net:

This is a platformer made by the same guy who made the Last Half Of Darkness series but this is similar in style to the Prince of Persia series. The same basic game concept ideas are used - Fight the voodoo curse and the bad guys at the same time, all while avoiding deadly traps. The creator of the game sold the game (with 7 levels) as a self-publishing work in the city of San Diego in 1995 for a short period of time. Only a few copies were sold. When later creating a CD with his collected works, he only burned a half-working 5-level beta to this CD. The full version became lost afterwards while this beta was spread around the world. So only a few people around San Diego might possess the actual full 7-level version.

btw - the game needs latest dosbox svn (freezes on some sfx in 0.74)

Reply 1 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can we just take the latest SVN and call it version 0.75? Version 0.74 came out years ago, and a lot of things have changed since then in the SVNs.

Reply 3 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The creators have essentially stated that Dosbox 0.75 won't be released any time in the near future or at any particular point, and that when it's released it won't be that big of an upgrade. I think though that with all of the great features that have gone into the SVNs, that they could definitely use a release in a mainstream build.

Reply 4 of 6, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a reply from William Fisher, and seems like he doesn't have the game anymore. So the only thing we have is the 5 level beta which says it's the full version. Probably we will never see the complete version and that's pretty sad.

William Fisher wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the game... I actually sold that game to a publisher that was supposed to publish and distribute the full version but I guess they never did anything with it (it was a long time ago and I sort of forgot) But I dont have the full version anymore - which is sort of a bummer because I should of kept better care of things like that... but rather just went on and made another game. I guess i just figured I could get a copy of the game when it was released but they never released it.